Can OCR get money from Youtube?

Deathtank

I think it would be unethical both on the grounds of not owning the license to the source material and also profiting off of artists' remixes

But remixers are giving their material to the site, and besides if OCR benefits, they'll be benefitting themselves too!

=/

Oh now, I understand your point.

Well, too bad then, isnt it? :sad:

I think it would be unethical both on the grounds of not owning the license to the source material and also profiting off of artists' remixes

Larry knows more about this than I do, but with regards to it being unethical due to profiting off of artists' remixes, as our content policy (http://ocremix.org/info/Content_Policy) indicates, it's not that we don't (or can't) show ads on the site, or employ other means of advertising surrounding mixes, it's that any money generated goes directly back into funding, improving, & promoting the site. "Not-for-profit" doesn't mean that profit isn't generated at all, but rather that it - quite circularly - goes directly back into the organization. We're a sole proprietorship LLC, at the moment, but I have quite separate bank accounts to specifically manage OCR, FYI. So both of your points are moot since they both more or less cover what we're already doing with Google ads right here on ocremix.org - regarding licenses, we claim Fair Use, and all revenue goes directly back to the site. If anyone has more questions about this, I can certainly provide answers - we try to be relatively transparent.

With specific regard to YouTube, my understanding was that they review your content for originality of material, and since they're fan arrangements, that might hurt us from qualifying.

Youtube has been spamming me recently too about monetizing my videos, and I mostly upload remixes -- sometimes with a static image (like a cover) and more recently with full-fledged game footage music videos... They say if you try to monetize a video you don't own the copyright to, it can be 'removed' from youtube altogether... I've tested the monetization on a couple videos, some original songs and also some remixes, and honestly I haven't seen any difference whatsoever.. no notification of "income" or seen any ads on the videos... not sure what's up with that. But the point is they didn't take the remixes down. I know remixing is part of keeping OCR going and I love being a part of that, but I thought that the remixers still "owned" the rights to their remixes, as much as a remixer can own the rights to something they technically don't. It gets too confusing when it comes to licensing and who actually owns the copyright. Can a remixer claim copyright on their remix? It can't be claimed as a half-copyright. (Or 42% copyright amirite larry, hehe stopwatching the copyright now!)

Youtube has been spamming me recently too about monetizing my videos, and I mostly upload remixes -- sometimes with a static image (like a cover) and more recently with full-fledged game footage music videos... They say if you try to monetize a video you don't own the copyright to, it can be 'removed' from youtube altogether... I've tested the monetization on a couple videos, some original songs and also some remixes, and honestly I haven't seen any difference whatsoever.. no notification of "income" or seen any ads on the videos... not sure what's up with that. But the point is they didn't take the remixes down.

From what I understand, you're not really profiting off of the remixes you post, but from the ads and traffic. Your music just happens to bring in the traffic. Just make sure you reference that originals though, just to be on the safe side.

And you probably wont see any ads since it's your video. Maybe try logging off of YouTube to see what happens? I haven't monetized anything yet, so I'm not really sure.:???:

I read over all of that mess a few weeks ago when I signed up. If I remember correctly, you will need to generate at least $100.00 of income before they even send you a check (and any type of notification, for that mater). It seems that you'll need to have thousands of subscribers that actually click on the ads before you get something.

According to their own qualifications:

You own or have express permission to use and monetize all audio and video content that you upload—no exceptions.

I believe OCReMix has implicit permission to use the audio, but not necessarily to monetize it. Other than that, I suspect they'd be in the clear.

Ethically (and legally), it would likely be okay if, as DJP said, they reroute the money back into the site.

It's a good question. I get ~500 views a day on my youtube channel; a friend of mine averages about a dollar a day (once $1.92!) on a similar amount of views.

I've stayed away from the ads though, seeing that most of those views are generated by remixed tracks. Then again, freddiew has ads on stuff like his Portal gun video, and most of his videos are based on subjects that I doubt he has permission to use and monetize. (?)

Anyone with success in similar situations?

Sole, when there's a major thing going like.. say Charlie Sheen or the next best thing, you will see a bunch of people just downloading the video and uploading it back and get the views.

Freaking vampires

...I'm not comparing freddiew to those people. He makes legitimately original work just based on existing subjects. It's (obviously) very different making a derivative or "remix" of an existing work as opposed to uploading the work itself as your own...

My question is based on people making ad money off videos based on copyrighted subjects (i.e. AVGN, freddiew, irate gamer, How it Should Have Ended, video game music remix channels etc).

When I licensed my Pirates of the Caribbean remix with Disney, I had very specific parameters that I had to obey (certain number of digital downloads vs physical sales). Since then, have they extended that to streaming uses in videos and ad revenue generated and does youtube police that?