DragonAvenger

Contact info

Remixer Name: anothertom

e-mail: tcfrink@gmail.com

Submission info

game: Luigi's Mansion

name of arrangement: Caprice en Forme de Luigi

name of song arranged: "Dark Rooms" or "Mansion Theme"

additonal info: Original by Shinobu Tanaka and Kazumi Totaka for Nintendo Gamecube

inspiration: Combines Afro-Cuban rhythms and Early 20th century French Impressionism. Composed using Sibelius 5, and the four clarinets are all me overdubbed.

Source:

I've gotta commend you on trying something that, to my knowledge, has never been done on OCR before. I also feel like you picked a really nice source for such an unconventional style.

That said, the performances feel really loose to me and the track generally seem to be lacking in polish. Maybe my lack of familiarity with this particular style of music is showing through, but when you've got multiple different rhythms and melody lines playing at the same time, a lot of them are all over the place in terms of timing and very rarely line up. I hate to say it, but for the most part this just feels sloppy :\

On the technical side of things, I'm also hearing several instances of clipping when you hit some of the highest notes, you definitely need to tame those with some sort of master limiter. Also, the end of your track cuts off rather abruptly.

Great effort, and the arrangement is neat (despite being pretty sparse in instrumentation, which might be an issue holding this back from passing even if the performances were spot on) but I'm not sold on the performances. Sorry :-(

NO

It's pretty ridiculously hard to overdub yourself, so I commend you on that. The arrangement is super cute and fun, and there's definitely a level of complexity that rally shows through in your writing and playing. I think Emu's inexperience in this type of music is what he is hearing as timing inconsistencies, as I only felt one or two areas felt a little off. I will say, though, that the clipping is killing the track. Hopefully it is something you can fix up without having to rerecord, but I'd love to see this fixed, even if it isn't a track that is meant for super-popularity.

NO (resubmit, please)

Unique stuff like this is something I really would like to hear on OCR, but that clipping in multiple sections of the recording kills this. It is incredibly prominent distortion on the track when the dynamics get louder. :-(

The timing felt mostly on to me, with a few sections that sounded a little too loose, but if not for the clipping, i'd say it was good to go. Please look into fixing that.

No, please resubmit