*NO* Legend of Zelda 'Ware o Sukui Tamae'

djpretzel

Email sub file Zelda Ware o Sukui Tamae.mp3

Hello djp, how have you been? Here`s a Zelda remix.

Now, the beginning is a Japanese voice actor named Yuko Isamiyama; I`m good friends with her. However, if this intro proves to be a problem let me know,but I find it to be quite amusing, and it`s not long. Ok so, thanks a lot.

ZELDA: Ware o Sukui Tamae

~DJ Crono (Jovette Rivera)~

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/zelda.zip - Track 1

Pretty cool intro; definitely nothing wrong with it. The buildup to the melody at 1:01 was alright. Dunno why the lead there was so thin-sounding and exposed. By the changeup at 1:18, the backing percussion was getting repetitive/boring and didn't substantially change until 2:39. The arrangement ideas had some decent tradeoffs between sticking verbatim to the Overworld theme and some rearranged parts. Jovette's brief lyrics from 2:44-3:01 were cluttered and undecipherable, which was a shame.

Until 3:31, I generally liked what was going on, but beyond that, the source melody was flooded out, leaving the added material too dominant and, IMO, diminishing the potential for Crono's new/original instrumentation to mesh tightly with the source material.

Aside from some sound balance issues, I actually thought the production was pretty good, and it definitely surpassed some of the very poorly produced stuff I've heard from Jovette in the past. Need to hear some more creative ideas with the source tune melody during some of the conservative sections, and also have the rearranged melodic material be given more prominent placement. Others might say this drags on as well at 5+ minutes and cound stand being trimmed down. Great candidate for a resubmission, so I'd like to see this again. Crono's got some stuff going on in Japan soon trying to promote his material, so best of luck to him on that as he looks to pimp that out.

NO (resubmit)

Funny Intro! [THIS IS THE BEGINNING!]

Let me start by saying what I did like. You start the melody by playing different variations on the first motif. This is always a great thing to do when dealing with a short source and you did a great job with that. Then at 1:18 you have your own melody that outlines the chords and begins with a motif from the original. I think that also works very well. The drums and bass line are simple but they are there pretty much to help push things along. At 1:34 you repeat your custom melody this time with a choral sample on top. This also works great! The notes you chose don't get in the way of the melody and they help fill things out. At this point you could have brought another motif from later in the song and started developing that one like you did the first, but instead you have a delayed lead play the full original melody. You have the drums drop out as if to announce its presents but after all that it only plays once before getting totally buried in everything else.

From here on things start to go down hill. At 2:24 your modified version of the first motif returns but only briefly. At 2:36 the guitar plays the original melody which spells out A7 while your other instruments form A-7b5 [half diminished]. This is a very ugly sound and it happens several other times. It is my belief that this was not intentional and happened as a result of you putting the original melody over an accompinament part more suited for your variation of the melody. I love the effects on the vocals at 2:43 but they are seriously out of tune.... if you can't hear that though there's nothing I could say that would help you with it other than advising you not to use any vocals. From 3:30 on Liontamer was correct in his assertion that everything became too cluttered. It feels like a bunch of ideas from earlier in the song have just been layered on top of eachother and that A7 plus A half diminished thing keeps happening. At 4:20 things start to clear up and when the vocals are layered here they actually don't sound that off until they sing the high G, F#. The brass sample was a good choice as any textural change by this point was more than welcome. The ending works well enough but not before one of those A7 plus A half diminished things happens again. That type of stuff REALLY bothers me but maybe other people won't be as irked by it so it might not matter. We'll see what the other judges say about that.

TIME FO' SOME SUGGESTIONS

From Larry's comments about you going to Japan, I would guess that you're probably having a much more succesfull career than I am and therefore you're probably not interested in my advice.... but just incase you are, here goes!

Up to 2:00 everything was going great. Things weren't too crowded and the simple walking octave pattern in the bass along with the repetitive drums helped keep things moving.

:arrow: At that point, rather than getting BIGGER you could have just changed things. The bass could have held notes while the drum pattern became more complex and at that point the brass from 4:20 could have come in. You could have half-timed the drums and had the bass play more intricate patterns here. I'm just saying that your solution to things starting to feel boring was to just add more on top of everything. There are other options.

:arrow: If you are hell bent on layering then make sure that your instruments don't step on eachother toes. In your sequencer solo two tracks at a time. Do this with every possible pair and make sure that they all sound good together. That might seem like alot but eventually it becomes more and more intuitive and it won't require that you do that every time.

ONLY FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS IF YOU AGREE WITH MY COMPLAINTS ABOUT YOUR REMIX!!!

If you like it fine the way it is now then I'm not going to try to persuade you to change your tastes. Anyway my vote is

NO

Love the intro. I was hoping for a “this is the end” outro but alas ‘twas not to be.

Man, the SFX almost never let up. They are generally interesting but their relentless assault puts much of this mix right on the border of clutter. Honestly, their biggest crime is smothering the lead. Their accomplice: many of the other supporting elements. I’m going for a resub on this to give you a chance to clarify or intensify the melody in a few places: 1:02-1:18, 3:32-4:19. The last section that I mentioned is great but it feels like an unused backdrop just waiting for the classic Zelda them to bust in and lay down the melodic law.

The vocal breakdown is pretty slick and really highlights the cool compression on the drums. I could have done without the phaser-like effect on the lead vocals though. Your voice sounds strong enough that it doesn’t need to be hidden behind that type of processing. A similar yet much clearer effect could be achieved by cutting the vocal EQ highs and lows while maxing out the mids giving you a static flanger/phaser feel. Slight clipping on that last Ahhhh, but nothing too terrible.

Good work not milking the theme as is easy to do with such a great source.

You might consider decluttering (uncluttering?, anticluttering?) some of the busier sections but certainly work on bringing more presence to the thematic lead. If this doesn’t pass as is, I’m looking forward to the resubmission.

NO (Please Resumbit)

i don't get the intro,

but at least it's good to see that DJ Crono is still making music, even though he hasn't kept up with the bar.

there's some good arrangement ideas displayed here and some parts sound nice and BIG,

but the mixing and production kills it.

this is too disorganized, cluttered and everything feels abrupt.

add in some clipping and awkward dissonance...

no