*NO* Sonic the Hedgehog 2 'The Plant'

djpretzel

I'm a new remixer ready to break onto the ocremix scene. This is a remix of the Chemical Plant Zone tune from Sonic 2. Hope you like!

CONTACT INFO:

- Remixer name: K00pa

- E-mail: cooperwelch@yahoo.com

- UserId on the forums: K00pa

REMIX INFO:

- Game remixed: Sonic the Hedgehog 2

- Name of song remixed: Chemical Plant Zone

- Comments on the mix: Chemical Plant was always my favorite level in Sonic 2. Everything from the level design, the pacing, and the music made it a really great place to cruise with Sonic. Unfortunately, none of the remixes I'd heard of the level's tune really did it justice. Thus, I decided to make my own Chemical Plant remix, in hopes that I could finally provide a good tribute to the level's awesomeness. I tried to convey a sense of speed with the tempo and quick bass line, as well as a muddy chemical feel with the instruments used for the melody.

LINK:

After you've traversed to the above link, you can right click "The Plant" and save it to your computer, or you can click on the link itself to listen to the song.

Thx a bunch!

Cooper Welch

http://www.zophar.net/gym/sonic2.rar - "Chemical Plant Zone"

Glad I heard some original ideas from :42-1:04, but this was pretty much a techno-ed convsersion. Nice idea for layering various lines of the original from 2:17-2:41 though. I saw you were going for a purposefully muddy feel, though the low-end was a bit cluttered.

Anyway, your production isn't terrible, and you put together some decent stuff, but this was too faithful to the structure of the original from my POV. Needs to be more interpretive. Keep at it, Cooper.

NO

This really gets redundant compositionally and texturally I'm afraid. All the low frequencies here really dominate. I think you're going to have to decide which element you want to stand out. Not make all of them stand out. No matter what you do, you're going to run into the laws of psychoacoustics.

Really loved the part around 2:40 though. Nice stuff there. But ultimately, in addition to the problems mentioned there isn't much new brought to the table. It's a straight forward/conservative arrangement. Unfulfilled ending to boot.

NO

As everyone else stated this needs more interpretation. The muddyness you were talking about like at 0:45 comes from having chords overlap that don't go well together A / G# / G... all major triads, all half steps apart and all bleeding into eachother, YIKES!

In the "cover" portions you certianly brought up the energy level from the original which is what you wanted to do so *high five*. Like Gray said the emptier section toward the end was nice and had a different texture from the rest of the piece. This could have started at around 2:00 and maybe developed into something else.

NO

Everything is too loud. There's no balance man. Everything is fighting for it's right to party, but its one of those crappy parties with fat frat guys and no hot chicks, just the ugly ones that date the fat frat guys. :(

The problem is the low frequencies and the reverb. Too much of both. Kill some of that. The arrangement isn't really all that strong either. It's the original over some barely audible buried in reverb drumbeats. A cut off ending too.

Back to the mixing board.

NO