Link's Awakening/A Link to the Past - Dark Tal Tal Heights

Jayster

Hey all, first time poster here, but I figured I'd try to get some feedback here as well. The song's a mix of Tal Tal Heights and the Dark World theme as well as a few small sections of other songs in the Zelda series. Any feedback is appreciated. MP3 is a bit more up to date with an excerpt from a song from Skyward Sword, so check that out if you get a chance!

MP3

God, this is so awesome!! :-D

Seriously man! I REALLY love it!

It might need a few nitpicky production tweaks to reach OCR standards (some frequency ranges sound a bit busy to me, and you might want to try lowering the reverb a bit, I'm losing the bass at times), but honestly the arrangement is really incredible! (There are a few notes near the beginning that I thought were slightly inappropriate in the first few seconds though, but it's no biggie)

Oh and the percussion could use a bit more power imo ^^ (particularly the snare)

Awesome work, man! And welcome aboard! :)

EDIT: am I hearing Deku Palace in there? :D

Hey!

Using a tracker eh? :nicework:

Okay right off the bat, I don't really like your kit. It's too wet, and it just is kinda flat. Something crunchier, with more punch to it would feel better IMO. You have a slight breakbeat going at transitions, maybe just try to keep the beat going in a way where it really is driving the song, all hits being appropriate etc. etc.... Keep your bass writing in mind when you write drums.

Also, not only is your kit too wet IMO, but the rest of the song is too... I think a LOT more detail would come out if at least some of the instruments were dryer. Leads can keep nice reverb and delay effects and stand out well, but some of the side/detail/nuanced stuff gets lost and muddy. Your bass especially too if it has any fx on it.

See, the thing w/ chiptunes is... The tones are so pure, that one of their biggest strengths in production is how clear they sound, how distinct they are.

Also with that kept in mind, you can really push solos, and rhythmic sections w/ them easier, shortening and lengthening tones can really help emphasize rhythm.

About the writing itself, it's nice. It's a little bit sectiony I guess, no eye popping moments, but the detail of your writing is great, very intricate and nuanced, I like a lot. Nice key change as well, and you meld the two themes nicely. Impressive first song posted here.

So yeah, hopefully my advice helps, it's really about what would be more appropriate to help your song stand out. If you don't take any of my advice, do something with that kit at least, and good luck!

Oh, very nice first effort! Just want to add that I agree with Monobrow - this mix is sopping wet :tomatoface:

Also the build and drop before the final chorus, where the "door unlocked" chime comes in could be a little more pronounced - again could be a product of the reverb merging the sections together. Great effort, clean it up and I'd love to hear it again!

Thanks for all the comments, I appreciate it! Here's a new WIP and I really tried to dial down the reverb and changed the whole drum kit for the most part. There are some suggestions that I haven't acted on yet but I may do that in another update. I just wanna see if I'm at least on the right track.

SoundCloud

MP3

It's a slight improvement, but my worry is that you've worked on it for so long you're only making relatively small changes (I do this all the time). You should try and remove all reverb, and build it back up from the ground. The percussion after the drop is so flimsy it really doesn't bring the song to a satisfying conclusion after that really cool build up.

If you haven't already heard it, this is a remix of the same source in a similar style http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR02143/ - you should aim for the clarity of production evident in this, as this is what the judges will have in mind when evaluating this mix. Notice how each individual element is clear and has its own space. I don't know if you've EQ'd all your tracks yet, but slice them up so that each one occupies its own range and there is minimal overlap. Once the EQing is done, you'll find you can make out everything more clearly, and up the volume of the mix without it sounding muddy, thus allowing for bigger builds and drops.

Thankfully, the arrangement's all there, so just concentrate on production and you should have a really great remix. Good luck!