*NO* Final Fantasy 9 'Despair - To Be Forgotten Is Worse Than Death'

djpretzel

Hey, this is my first submission, recorded using nothing but my accoustic guitar, an inexpensive computer microphone, and a little bit of added effects. Because of difficulty finding a good host for MP3s, I had to use www.soundclick.com, which I know, is probably a huge pain in the ass for you guys.

Anyway, onto the additional info:

Remixer Name - The Bobby Corwen Experience

Real Name - Evan Johns

Userid - As for this, I honestly cannot seem to find any indication of my userid number, but I can assure you that my NAME is BobbyCorwenExperience.

Sorry...

Name of Game Remixed - Final Fantasy IX

Name of Song Remixed - Freya's Theme

Additional Info - I think you guys have already got this covered

Comments - Umm... Basically just did some multi-track recordings with my guitar, added some reverb in the computer and then layered it over the rain loop. Oh and that little lead line a little after 2:00, that was written by me, and was done, amazingly, totally improv.

Alright, thanks for your time,

Evan Johns

Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today - it's FREE!

http://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/

http://www.tzone.org/~llin/psf/packs2/FF9_psf.rar - 210 "Freya's Theme"

The production work on this was pretty bad. The guitars were just too loud and cluttered, plus (while a good cover of a cool theme) the arrangement was too conservative in my opinion. The rain sound effect running throughout the background was serviceable, but if you presented some cleaner sounding guitar work the rain SFX would have sounded too lo-fi.

The guitar guys among the group can give some insightful feedback on the strength of the performance itself. I genuinely enjoyed the rendention you had here, Evan, including the original material from 2:01-2:40, but otherwise there's gotta be interpretation and rearrangement here. Play around more with this theme. Also, head over to the ReMixing forum to research what you can do to achieve better recordings with the resources at your disposal, and get fan feedback from the WIP forum for future submissions.

NO

Hey Buddy! What on earth is with that A Major Chord?? There's no way that was an intentional dissonance judging from the simplicty of the rest of the piece. The melody over your A Major Chord is "C,B,A,E,D,C,B,A".... There is no good reason for this and right now it sounds pretty awfull since this clearly spells out A Minor [the D and B make it clear that it's not altered or H.W. Diminished]. Your arrangement consists of you playing basically the same strumming pattern over and over through your simplified version of the original chord progression with a totally uninterpreted reproduction of the melody on top. Here is the original progression in green with yours in red: Dminor-Dminor, Aminor/C-Amajor, Bbmaj7-Bbmajor, Gmin7-Gminor taking note that you did nothing to the melody to accomindate switching Aminor/C to Amajor. Notice the difference in complexity? Where there were 7ths you removed them and where the root was not on the bottom you moved it back.

There is some incredibly simple melodic improvisation from 2:00 to 2:38 that doesn't even come close to making up for the rest of the arrangement.

NO

The biggest problem with this mix is that the recording is really ungood. you used a mic and didnt maintain constant distance and yourvolume ranged greatly. This results in lots of bloom and crunch. it sounds really sloppy.

Secondary to this problem is the fact that the arrangement is straightforward and sparse.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

that sound.. is supposed to be rain? at least find a better rain sample (like, one that's stereo)

i can echo the complaints about the recording.. it sounds kinda lofi and i'm sorry but you clip, sir.

not bad as far as first submissions go but,

invest in some better recording equipment,

learn how to do proper signal processing on your recorded parts,

and learn how to fade out in a way that's non abrupt.

after you've done all that, we can talk about arrangement.

no