Command&Conquer Remix of Mechanical Man

HoboKa

The crits I have are that the drums sound too weak and that there's not really a build-up or a climax. The piece drags on a bit before the 1:39 mark. Sound effects are used nicely though. I really like the part aroudn the two minute mark, but the track really has to explode after that to give it the most effect.

All in all, good wip, just but a little more power into those drums and have a little more variation in the first part

The crits I have are that the drums sound too weak and that there's not really a build-up or a climax. The piece drags on a bit before the 1:39 mark. Sound effects are used nicely though. I really like the part aroudn the two minute mark, but the track really has to explode after that to give it the most effect.

All in all, good wip, just but a little more power into those drums and have a little more variation in the first part

Thanks for the crits pu :D

I've been trying to mess around with filter effects (which was Nutritious' suggestion) on the bass and I'm thinking of changing up the drum samples to something more mechanical-man sounding lol.

As for the part after the breakdown, I'm at a bit of at a loss on how to get the most out of it and wrap the track up nicely.

Mechanical man, we meet again, eh? One of my favorite sources from the C&C soundtrack, and one of yours too, considering this is the second time I've seen you make an attempt at it.

Alright, the saw wave can work well for what it is, but you're going to need a deeper bass to cover that spectrum better. Either that or increase the bass in the current instrument, but I'm speaking from experience when I say that's really, really hard to do while keeping that distinct timbre and/or avoid the mids/highs from clipping to high hell.

My personal suggestion (and take this as what it is - a suggestion) would be to decrease (or even cut) the low end of the saw spectrum and add a deep (yet easy to manage) bass to the track. That gives you the best of both worlds - the very fitting saw and a deep, resonating bass that covers the low end well.

The beginning sounds like you're having a lot of fun toying with different timbre combinations. While all of them are fun, at 1:10 it feels that the track losses balance of where it should be. For the sake of track pacing you should change the section up about here - you can use the following ideas later in the track if/when you recapitulate the earlier material, so it doesn't sound repetitive. No need to waste the work you've already done - just use it a bit later.

Overall, I think some of your instruments (preferably the melodic ones) could use a little more attention to the high end of the spectrum. This will both make the overall sound more complete and make the themes easier to hear.

This is a great start to the track. I hope my suggestions come in handy for ya, since I really like the source.

Mechanical man, we meet again, eh? One of my favorite sources from the C&C soundtrack, and one of yours too, considering this is the second time I've seen you make an attempt at it.

Alright, the saw wave can work well for what it is, but you're going to need a deeper bass to cover that spectrum better. Either that or increase the bass in the current instrument, but I'm speaking from experience when I say that's really, really hard to do while keeping that distinct timbre and/or avoid the mids/highs from clipping to high hell.

My personal suggestion (and take this as what it is - a suggestion) would be to decrease (or even cut) the low end of the saw spectrum and add a deep (yet easy to manage) bass to the track. That gives you the best of both worlds - the very fitting saw and a deep, resonating bass that covers the low end well.

The beginning sounds like you're having a lot of fun toying with different timbre combinations. While all of them are fun, at 1:10 it feels that the track losses balance of where it should be. For the sake of track pacing you should change the section up about here - you can use the following ideas later in the track if/when you recapitulate the earlier material, so it doesn't sound repetitive. No need to waste the work you've already done - just use it a bit later.

Overall, I think some of your instruments (preferably the melodic ones) could use a little more attention to the high end of the spectrum. This will both make the overall sound more complete and make the themes easier to hear.

This is a great start to the track. I hope my suggestions come in handy for ya, since I really like the source.

Thanks for the input Gario; I'll see what I can do. It may be a while before I submit an update and it will probably be way different than the original one.

http://www.mediafire.com/?1g46ak01zeuza5s

Tried some glitch drumming, via FL Gross Beat =D

And...probably went overboard with it, but I think this sound will help make the track sound more mechanical, as the source tune suggests :tomatoface:

And yeah the 'ending' is pretty retarded, gotta fix that and add in the final stretch of arrangement.

What's your guys' thoughts :D?

Haha...

Yeah I honestly do think you kinda went overboard.

The biggest problem I have w/ the new version is that the crazy drumwork is really happening too early. You're not giving the song time enough to build, and that the drums really seem separate from the rest of the song. They aren't working with the bass or the actual rhythm in the background.

Also they kinda hurt my ears.

In this case, I like that you can do this stuff to drums now, but until it's appropriate, less is more. Let the song build and climax a bit, then BAM the drums are in.

Your atmosphere for this song is pretty nice otherwise...

Right now at is is, the drums seem very out of place. I recommend starting over on them, with a feel/compromise somewhere in between version 1 and 2.

Haha...

Yeah I honestly do think you kinda went overboard.

The biggest problem I have w/ the new version is that the crazy drumwork is really happening too early. You're not giving the song time enough to build, and that the drums really seem separate from the rest of the song. They aren't working with the bass or the actual rhythm in the background.

Also they kinda hurt my ears.

In this case, I like that you can do this stuff to drums now, but until it's appropriate, less is more. Let the song build and climax a bit, then BAM the drums are in.

Your atmosphere for this song is pretty nice otherwise...

Right now at is is, the drums seem very out of place. I recommend starting over on them, with a feel/compromise somewhere in between version 1 and 2.

Okay, I'll need to find some kinda middle ground there.

But I think that the drums aren't the only issue either - thing is I'm trying to make this track sound edgy, whilst maintaining its slow-ish tempo, but I end up making it sound too chill; I think the source tune's tempo makes it more difficult (its somewhere between 100-120 bpm).

Also, I'm trying to find more 'mechanical' sound effects; seeing as the original track used a lot of them and it just wouldn't feel right to not add them in with my remix. Any suggestions there? :tomatoface:

Oh and thx for critting my work Mono :)