DragonAvenger

Original Decision

Your ReMixer name: Lidawg

Your real name: Liam Charalambous

Your email address: charalambousl@gmail.com

Your userid: 45748

Name of game(s) arranged: Final Fantasy X

Name of arrangement: The Dreamer Departs

Name of individual song(s) arranged: To Zanarkand (also called At Zanarkand)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmzZrj-cLSc (link to the original, just in case)

Thank you for the comments on my mix. I found it helpful and really encouraging. Here I have tried my best to attend to the points made in your feedback without detrimentally affecting other things. It had been a while since I'd heard the mix after getting your feedback and couldn't believe how I'd missed the lack of bass. Hopefully this will sound cleaner, clearer and more human (piano-wise).

Thanks again, I really appreciate the time spent listening and critiquing my work as you must all be very busy :)

Hooray for bass!

Overall, a definite improvement in most of the areas I wanted to see addressed. The more I listen to this, the more I like how the theme is just out of sight. The allusions are there, and you really have to listen for them, but it makes the experience more gratifying when you do hear it. To nitpick, the ending is still feeling a bit overcrowded, and the parts are vying with one another at times. I'm also not sold on the stop-transition near the beginning, but I think neither are a deal-breaker this time. Good luck with the rest of the vote!

YES

• 2 months later...

I agree with the crits Deia has, and have a few extras, but *overall this is on the right track*.

The violin sample that is used briefly is not cutting it, as it's super dry and brittle sounding, and doesn't match the lush soundscape at all. It's also rigidly sequenced, and kindof ruins the moment when it comes in. With that being one of the few places the melody is very present, it's crucial that it sounds it's best. You have everyone's attention, waiting for the main melody payoff, and then... dry and rigid sample! :-(

I think the cello earlier on could have a little bit of the low mids scooped out, as it gets pretty muddy in some spots.

It's very very close but needs a few more fixes for me to pass it.

No, please resubmit

• 3 weeks later...

Close call for me. Sounds like 90s trance, which is nostalgic. The sounds are, thus, dated, and could be improved, but they (mostly) work. I agree the violin-type lead is weak. But mainly those orchestra hits are brutal. Use something else. Also, some of the sounds seem out of time, like they were sloppily played in. Plus around 2:50 things get muddy with the new bass synth. Make sure to go in and quantize everything. Otherwise I think I'd pass it. Also things get too busy at 2:54 so take another look at that with the two basslines going on.

NO

Sup dawwg.

Yeah the violin lead is weak and those orchestral hits need to be something more suitable. Around 2:55 that synth in the left channel seems a bit out of place too. There wasn't anything that majorly annoyed me timing wise but can't hurt to tighten up things with a bit of quantization.

So yeah, the above things are really the only things holding this back from a YES. There are a lot of things that are solid about this, really not far off!

NO

Also u come to next convention u.

Definitely got some good ideas to it, but have to side with the NOs. The violin-ish lead was too rigid and the plucked lead too dry. The synth hits felt out-of-place and it started to get very out-of-time. The mixing also felt a little lacking in body. So, cool ideas but some sizable problems that you'll need to work out. I recommend giving it another try and I think you'll improve even further.

NO (resubmit)