No Ticket! - Charge Man in the stupid MM2 Wily Castle :D

Phonetic Hero

Alright, so I broke down and posted a mix here with the rest of the WCRG participants. I've already made up my mind to submit my other mix from the WCRG, AND I DON'T NEED NO HALP WID IT! Actually I just wanna see if I'm a big boy and can do these things without a bunch of help :D But, this one wasn't quite up to the same standard as PT&AnB (for those of you who've heard it, you're also familiar with how alsdfioxcnvoiunewiaunsding annoying it is to type).

The idea behind this one was to keep the upbeat feeling of Charge Man without making the transitions between the major/minor sources too apparent, as well as keeping the interpretation at a reasonable level throughout the piece. So let me know how I did, what's good/sucks/needs to be changed and whatever else you got

Charge Man's my boy, and he needs some OCR love

Thanks in advance!

pH

Edit: Oh, and I already know the automated panning is pretty weird and bothersome, and I plan on fixing it when I get around to working on the mix. But I got some originals that need some lovin' first

This needs a lot of love in the lower freq throughout the whole thing. The lows and even the low mids don't feel there. It's not beefy enough, and it sounds like it should be. This also sounds like it should just be wider in general... I feel like I'm listening to this on an old radio.

Given, I am on headphones, and I can't exactly say how much with accuracy, but that bass needs to phatten the phuk up :)

Overall, I think the more crowded the mix gets, unfortunately the more flat it sounds. EQ EQ EQ, and maybe widen your sound a tiny bit with some panning or stereo FX.

The writing is spaz, but excellent lol.

Also I think around :35 to :42 is actually not the right chord progression for that source. If you're willing to correct that, I'd be immensely happy, unless it was a personal choice, but I don't think the change there specifically was for the better, as it feels like a chord lost in limbo.

You do this also with the Wily Castle theme later, and there it seems more acceptable.

Good luck!

The writing is spaz, but excellent lol.

Also I think around :35 to :42 is actually not the right chord progression for that source. If you're willing to correct that, I'd be immensely happy, unless it was a personal choice, but I don't think the change there specifically was for the better, as it feels like a chord lost in limbo.

You do this also with the Wily Castle theme later, and there it seems more acceptable.

Haha thanks, spazoid writing seems to be the direction my style is going :P

And yeah, it's a different chord progression, and Gario mentioned in the compo that he didn't like it either. I'll take a look at it, although I like making the chords a bit different from the source. BUT, if it doesn't work, it doesn't work.

Thanks for all the crits, I'll put em into action here pretty soon :D

pH

OK! Update. Same link. How's the bass and sound width? I might add some overdrive or distortion to it too to make it more interesting, cause it still sounds a little weird... but maybe not.

As for the chordal section that was making people unhappy before, I changed it up, but the pad just gave it that warm feeling, so I couldn't get rid of it completely. I gated it to make it more texturally hawt though. And switched up what the bass was doing. But I might revisit that as well if people still don't like it I suppose

ALSO I ADDED ANOTHER SAMPLE TO THE SNARE TO MAKE IT COOLER (it doesn't sound much different :P ), and also changed up a drum pattern for mare craxiness in the DnB-ish section.

Throw anything you got at me!

pH

(And Matt, it's a bit late, but thanks for the bump at least :D )

EDIT: Ah, motherfucker, I also missed fixing the panning at the end... next time

DOUBLE EDIT: Ninja update ;) fixed quite a few things... just enjoy

Alright, let's see what we've got here.

First the good - the gated train is awesome. The glitches are excellent. The bass is really phat, and juicy (and sort of reminds me of Genesis synthesis). The drums are well placed. The arrangement is quite good, on top of all of that.

The pad used at 0:56 just doesn't work. I agree that you need a pad there, but the one chosen just has too many harmonic partials to sound good at all. Use a cleaner pad there and the chords will sound much better.

There are times where the melody doesn't quite punch through as much as I'd like (the synth at 0:20). It sounds alright in the beginning, but over the rest of the track it's just too thin to push past the rest of the track. Adjusting the highs on the EQ for it would help, as well as adding some reverb. With all the other awesome sound you have going in this track, I think you'd be able to fix this, no problem.

... yeah, I really like what you have going here, otherwise. Nice work on the improvements, and sorry for the late response - Christmas stuff and all.