*NO* Sonic the Hedgehog 3 'Aquatic Pressure (OCR Swimming Pool Edit)'

djpretzel

Hey OCR dudes!

I’m back with a much better remix this time.

Information:

ReMixer Name: Red Tailed Fox

e-mail: rincenwind671@hotmail.com

Game / Song ReMixed: Hydrocity act 2 (Sonic The Hedgehog 3)

Name of the ReMix: Aquatic Pressure (OCR Swimming Pool Edit)

Link:

Information:

Well, what can I say? Sonic is probably the happiest hero of all games because at least he faces danger listening to some really cool/funky stuff...

The idea of this remix was to blend the original with original grooves / styles. I think I handled it quite well, it goes from funk hybrid/weirdness to dance pop and reggae dub... Or something like it... I not quite sure. All I know is that there’s a lot of originality to it.

O.B.S: The only difference between this version and the one in VGMix is the encoding.

I have some people to thank:

Luiza TSM – for watching (and probably laughing at) me doing the remix and giving her sincere opinion.

Kaleb Grace – for encoding, hosting, and tagging (and for being one of the person’s who encouraged me to send this to OCR)

BrainCells – for being Brazilian (hahahhaa kiddig, for being the second person who encourages me to send this here).

That’s about it... I hope you guys dance to it! =)

http://www.zophar.net/gym/SK+SONIC3.RAR - 07 "Hydrocity Zone 2"

Waiting for something to happen with the source material. Atmosphere lacks clarity. The arranged strings at :21 and the low pad played strikingly different notes from the original melodic progression, so that threw me off a but. New stuff at :46 with the lead that made a nice connection with the source. The horns first used at 1:05 sounded very fake. 1:30 briefly shifted to the Hydrocity Zone melody. Aside from the supporting synth, the arranged material from 1:45-1:59 sounded nothing like the source.

Not really gonna comment on any other specific section, because the whole way through I was just getting a lot of brief verbatim source tune sections surrounded by beatwork and then original/overly liberal sections that are inspired by Hydrocity Zone. Needs to have more melodic interpretation of the source material, rather than use this current approach. Production also needs to be sharper and livelier, because a lot of the instrumentation felt flat to me, but it's better than most subs we get. I liked the string-based ending, but I'm not sure why that gunshot ending was in there.

NO (resubmit)

I LOVE THE WAY THIS SOUNDS.... alot of it anyway!

The source material is definitely in here and even though it's not here that often, other than the flute solo every thing melodic that happens in this mix is from the source allowing it to play a central role. That is GOOD and BAD! It's good cause it pays homage to the source by making it important and it's bad because your star player is only in a couple scenes! I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that everything from 0:00 to 2:33 works. DON'T CHANGE ANY OF THAT! I don't care about the "fakeness" of the brass. Sure it could sound better but that's not a make-or-brake thing for me. At 2:33 when the string enters and the section repeats all of a sudden it becomes clear: NOTHING IS HAPPENING! If the source melody had re-entered there you could have continued to develop it over that groove. When the source comes back at 2:50 it's played by some incredibly weak brass. By this point you've totally lost me. That melody needs to come to the front and the low level of the brass + the continued string presence make that impossible here.

After that, the melody makes its exit again [end of cameo]. See, when this happened in the first 2:30, I felt like you were wetting my appetite but by this point my patience has run out. SOLUTION: Keep everything until 2:30 and then incorporate the melody more strongly into everything that follows with more attention payed to consistency. Up to that point you've been changing the feel every other second, you've got to let it settle down at some point. Either that or this needs much more action to distract me from the constant changes and that's not the direction I see this mix is heading in.

There are some great ideas in this thing. You need to unleash it's full potential!

NO(Resubmit)

Yeah so I'm sitting here waiting for the full Hydrocity bust-out, and I only get a little taste at 2:50. WTH man? Such solid grooves, such nice sound design, but you couldn't interpret the source material material any more? This mix is basically what Larry said; some original stuff over the Hydrocity bassline, quote the melody, more original stuff.

You gotta really interpret the source material more. It's almost there. It just needs to really break out and play with the melody.

COME ON MAN HYDROCITY ACT 2 IS THE BEST SONG IN THE GAME :(

NO

RESUB RESUB RESUB RESUB RESUB RESUB RESUB RESUB RESUB RESUB RESUB RESUB RESUB RESUB RESUB RESUB RESUB RESUB RESUB RESUB RESUB RESUB RESUB RESUB RESUB RESUB RESUB RESUB

this isnt bad or unenjoyable, but i feel that the song is too reliant on the drumloops and bass. too groove-reliant. the original is kind of unimportant and it's composed weakly. dont get me wrong, there are some great bits, like the brass at the end and in other places is really cool, but the mix as a whole fails to cohereantly sustain and develop ideas related to the sonic tune. more forethought in composition, please.

NO