Your ReMixer name - Baconwrappedfilet

Your real name- Joseph Maas

Your email address-

Userid - 47277

Submission Information

Name of game(s) arranged - Final Fantasy Tactics

Name of arrangement - Creative Characters

Name of individual song(s) arranged - Character Creation

Composed by either Hitoshi Sakimoto or Masaharu Iwata. On the Playstation 1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N24p0jWeneI

The original piece has primarily two sections, one in D minor (specifically Dorian) the other in C minor. All my material is only from the first section since it contains many ideas which can be creatively altered.

A quarter note bass line and a triplet ostinato drives this piece. (harp, piano, glockenspiel and electric piano are constantly but subtlety morphed around in this ostinato). At the middle of the piece the ostinato changes drastically into an arpeggiated motive. The main melody has a string and reedy timbre and acts as a refrain.

Last I added two solos played by a distorted electric piano, almost to the point it sounds like an electric guitar. The piece climaxes on the second solo which is a flurry of arpeggios.

Yes I know the title I gave it isn't too ... creative ... but the music is what matters right?

I hope you enjoy the piece and I look forward to any feedback and criticism.

--------------------------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cqr6tlaQP5A

I like the bassline idea, it's really bouncy, and I think it works with the harp and main melody. From there, though, things get a bit strange. Some of your ideas are pretty neat, and then they get a bit weirder and weirder. Moreso than things being weird is the fact that your solo parts are pretty distinctly separate from the source sections. I'd like a better connection, like you do at 1:51 with the brief countermelody.

I'm also noticing that there isn't much in the way of development. I don't feel like there's much of a build or a climax. Adding or subtracting instruments will help, and the use of dynamics will help as well.

Production is not great, to be honest. The sounds are all pretty fake sounding and mechanical. Humanizing the parts will be a good first step, and upgrading the samples would be a good second step.

Gonna be honest, there's a lot that needs to be done here. I'd tone down the solos a lot, and see about adding more of a connection between your original material and the source itself. There's also plenty of production, and I'd work on giving the piece some build. Good luck!

NO

Ewww, some nasty distortion in the left ear whenever the harp plays, it's really distracting >_> That would definitely need to be cleaned up.

I'm actually liking how this one starts off, your instrument choices are sparse but there's a playfully devious quality to the arrangement, and the source riffs play really nicely with the new bassline.

I'm not gonna beat around the bush though, the synth solos are just not working in their current form. I hate to throw out words like "weird" when it comes to judging songs because I understand how subjective these things can be, but they are pretty weird :-P When the synth first enters and the melody it's playing is still rather tame, it actually works in my opinion but the solos that follow are just too out there to really sit right with the rest of the track.

Aside from that, your sample quality isn't much far above the quality of the source tune, which is definitely an area to work on. Getting some stronger-sounding samples would help improve the overall sound quality and fill out your soundscape more, which is too thin and underdeveloped in its current state. Hit up the workshop forums where the mods and other members will be able to give you more pointers on how to improve the quality of your mixing and perhaps get your hands on some better-quality samples as well.

Lots of work here, but there's a lot of merit to your unique style of remixing too, so keep working on music and refining your abilities!

NO

The samples are about on the same level as the original, which feels a little lo-fi by today's standards. When the synth comes in, it feels pasted on the soundscape, and then the solo hits, and I really just can't wrap my head around what you are trying to say musically there. It doesn't really fit the key, and seems to not even fit the style of the song either.

The other judges have given some solid advice, so I recommend giving this a bit of time in the workshop forums to get some assistance in tuning it up.

No