WCRG - Gario - Magnet Man vs Wily 1-1

Gario

I'm thinking of subbing this one, since I haven't subbed anything to OCR since March, and I'd like to start getting more awesome musics onto the site again :D

Any suggestions on this one?

Drag Me Up (to Heaven)

It's adjusted a bit from the one on the WCRG compo, btw, so download it fresh here. I felt like I ran out of time on the compo version, so this one has a couple of neat tweaks that I originally intended to make it more interesting.

Enjoy, and let me know what should be fixed in it :)

Let's see--this was one of my favorites this week, and barely missed out on a top-3 spot.

So far, on my first listen-through (of the new version), my only big issue is that the lead synth which comes in around 1:50 sounds just a bit too loud (leading to a harsh sound) and seems to be distorting a bit. Back off the high mid-range in the EQ and lower the overall volume of that synth and you should be alright.

The bass, overall, isn't terribly present, but I think this particular song lets you get away with that. Same goes for a lot of the drums (kick in particular).

That background arp which is ever-present (the one which is last to fade out at the end) might be just a bit too loud--you might consider scaling it back just a teensy bit.

Overall, the song is a very bright-sounding, cheery, fairly polished mix. I hear plenty of source usage, so no complaints there. While quite enjoyable as-is, the overall sound is perhaps just a bit crowded at times, due to all the high-midrange synths in play. I don't think you're *quite* overdoing it just yet, but the judges might disagree. Consider raising or lowering some of your background synths an octave or so, as that might help with some of the crowding--which, incidentally, is probably no more evident than when that 1:50 lead synth comes in.

Fix that harsh lead synth, check that background arp, maybe even change up the way some of the synths are phrased (octave-wise), and I personally think you'll have a winner.

MOD REVIEW

For sure the bass could be beefier, and the highs are a little piercing but overall this is pretty good. However, it seems like many of the issues that flex stated are still here, didn't realise you'd updated at first from his crits... Better post the issues that are still there: Leads are still a little bit high end, don't seem as bad as flex said so I'm assuming you've fixed, but not enough.

It seems to me that you've got one of those crappy (with frequencies) leads that is piercing over a huge amount of the frequency range, and while you've got rid of some of that content to the point that its almost inaudible in those frequencies, there are others that are still coming through piercing. It seems to me you've gone too narrow and too strong in your attempt to fix the problem. Nice idea on fixing the leads with EQ but work a little more on that. If you want more specifics, I can try and point it out for you :)

Some of your panning automation on those arps is a little iffy at times, the automation is a little disorientating, I'd bring that down slightly, the panning is cool but its a tad strong.

There are points there there seems to be volume automation as well thats bothersome. At one 1:38, that chord synth is a little loud and a little too off center for example.

The arrangement seems cool I dig the way you used Magnet man.

Seems to me the core is here. Just give some TLC to the production and sub :D

The bass is as loud as it can physically go, now; any louder and the bass clips in an incredibly abrasive manner. There's some minor sidechaining against the drums which kills some of the volume, but as far as what the bass is it's physically as loud as most others on OCR. It's not an acoustically complex bass, so it doesn't have as much presence as other songs might, but stylistically that's not what this song calls for, either. Hopefully it's enough.

I further adjusted the highs on the track (there was a master that was artificially raising them, funny I didn't think to turn it off earlier), and I've tinkered more with the main lead's envelopes that were causing a lot of sonic grief.

I touched on some of the panning, though not too much. It's the only way I could fit as much stiff in here as I have while keeping most of the parts pretty clear. I hope it's enough toning down, here.

Alright, I think it's had enough tune up - I'll submit tomorrow, barring nothing else is really wrong with it. Thanks for the help, guys.

Highpass everything that doesn't need lows. Personally (I'm not a pro, at least not yet), I lowpass just about everything, but leave more lows for low pads, bass, and bass drum (for obvious reasons). Everything else will just have stray lows that'll get in the way. Unless I need a less synthetic, less produced, more organic and natural sound, this is what I recommend, too. Take the break at 1:30. The spectrum meters in QTP (yeah they're totally pro-level) show the lowest being max loud in a part that I assume is not supposed to have much bass.

Your bass in the compo version is loud enough on my setup, but quite far back in the mix. I guess that's why my comment in the other thread caused some confusion, but you seem to have figured out the problem on your own, too. just bring it forward some more could solve all the bass crits. Or not.

So, the new link... has pretty much the same situation, even to the point where the output compression is being pushed occasionally. I'd just put an overdrive on the bass before whatever tremolo/sidechaining/rhythm thing you've got, that'll add some presence in the form of overtones (it gradually squares the waveform - which leads to more highs). And then I'd reduce its level a bit.

See if any of that makes sense for your track. :D