Your real name - Dan and Frank Johansen

Your email address - lunarheartheaven@yahoo.com

Your website - www.thedualdragons.com

Your userid (number, not name) http://ocremix.org/forums/member.php?u=11976

Submission Information

Name of game(s) arranged - Ys II

Name of arrangement - Demonic Bell

Name of individual song(s) arranged - Companile of Lane

Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc.

The Ys series, what can I say, it's one of the most adrenaline packed franchises to ever hit any screen.

From running around beating beasts until their bones fly or taking on gigantic bosses that scream until you pee your pants,

the music behind all of these moments have been awesome throughout the years and it's been consistent with every release

ever released by Falcom. Ys = awesome music to awesome action. End of story.

We wanted to get in close with this track and make it how we would have it if we ever got a chance at arranging music for a Ys II re-release.

Enjoy and don't forgot to change your underwear later on. lol

----------------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeYSJ0SWhdg

• 2 months later...

Pretty good overall, though the drums seemed to be a bit muffled, and there were some balance issues that seemed strange, mainly a good number of synths sounding either too loud, or too pasted on top of things.

The performances were generally on, though some of the rhythm playing in the first part wasn't quite locked in.

Overall it's close, but the synths need to sit better in the mix before I am comfortable passing this.

No, please resubmit

I think Andrew is on the right track for this. I'd also comment that a lot of the parts feel a bit coverish, although there is some personalization. I wouldn't mind some more original material added in here to help differentiate from the source, but I am also OK with the arrangement as is. The balance and sounscape in general are definitely the biggest issue here, where things feel too loud or overpowered, and don't feel treated well together. It's a lot of little fine tuning to get it right. I'd hit up the WIP forums to get some more feedback after some adjustments and hit us up again!

NO (resubmit)

Gotta agree that the rhythm guitars aren't so tight, which shows in the fast riffs eg 2:43. I'm not sure about some of the synths either. 1:12 in particular sounds very strange when the fast run comes in. The general mix levels are also a little off in places.

This is a tricky one, it's very close either way. I know this is sort of typical of you guys, pretty raw production combined with raw rock arrangement. I feel like I've heard more unpolished things that have been passed recently, so I'm gonna lean on the other side of the fence.

YES, but borderline.

• 4 weeks later...

I can see both sides of the coin here. Rock conversion from the source is good and the performances are quite good. Lots of change-ups keep the listener engaged.

On the other side, though, mixing could use some help here as others have mentioned (synths & drums).

Some of the spacing/wetness threw me off a bit. The rock portions are pretty dry, but then there are synth sections with a lot of reverb coming in and out. Examples are the synth break in around 1:00 and 2:09 as well as the parts at 1:14 & 2:24. See if you can get the sounds gelled a bit better so it sounds cohesive instead of pasted on.

So this is definitely in that gray area of mixes that could really pass or be resubmitted. Personally, I'd like to hear some of the aforementioned issues fixed cause this track really deserves to hit it's full potential. Good luck, whichever way this goes.

No (borderline, resubmit)

Don't have a lot to add here, the major problems are covered. The mixing is uneven and the parts don't totally sit together, and I'm a little disappointed because I thought you guys handled that well on your posted subs. The arrangement is good (guitar performances great, obv) and I don't think you really have to change anything on that end. Just try to fix up the mixing a little bit.

NO (resubmit)