Your userid: 4457

Submission Information

-----------

Name of game arranged: Chrono Trigger

Name of arrangement: Underwater Enigma

Name of individual song arranged: Ocean Palace

Thanks!

-----------

Oh yeah, this sounds much better, mixing-wise :-) There's still some balancing issues, namely the guitar which feels too repressed throughout the mix, but overall everything is coming through loud and clear, it sounds like a TOTALLY different song now!

I still think the conservativeness of the arrangement is a problem, but you do have a great deal of extra/altered countermelodies and slight changes in rhythms/melodies that help push the vote in your favor. It's pretty damn close though and I would really like to have heard some more personalization, but I'd say this just barely eeks by. I'd love to hear what the other judges think though, my opinion is still kind of on the fence.

YES (borderline)

• 2 months later...

Too conservatively structured, IMO. 10 years ago with "Icarus Orchestrated," that close of a cover had a shot, but as of 7 or 8 years ago, that's no longer the case.

I'm not saying tossing original ideas over the foundation of the original song is how you get the arrangement passed, but treating the arrangement a lot more like the second half (more interpretive, more personalized) instead of the first (which sounds like a souped up MIDI copy with the same tempo and structure and similar instrumentation to the original) would seal the deal.

Here, it was only at 1:36 when it sounded like new writing was truly being explored and combined with different enough instrumentation ideas for the source tune to present something unique and substantially interpretive.

Really awesome to see you again in the Turntable.fm room and hearing you submit more stuff. The second half sounds awesome, now just add more interpretation to the first half as well.

NO (resubmit)

Larry is definitely onto something with the first half being conservative, though there are some minor percussive additions. There is no question that the second half is interpretive, it's just the first half plays it so close to the original. I think some very minor additions to the first half would put this over for all of us. I think the track sounds really good, but just a touch more personalization will do it. Sorry to send it back when it;s so close, but it just needs a little more to be OCR acceptable.

No(please resubmit

very MGS sounding vibe, especially the reverbed hand percussion and string pedals.

production overall was solid, some of the staccato string articulations were a tad bit iffy but for the most part things were pretty well balanced and mixed.

unfortunately I have to agree that the arrangement isn't quite there yet. it's definitely personalized in the way of instrumentation, but the composition needs to spread it's wings just a bit more more. my first impression was that I'd be passing this one, but I wanna hear you take one more pass at the arrangement. some more interpretation of the theme would really set this thing off.

NO(borderline, resubmit!)

• 3 weeks later...