Additional information about game:

Original Composer(s): Robert Allen, Joshua Jensen

Copyright: Epic Megagames

Year: 1994

System: PC

Link to the remix:

Link to the original soundtrack:

Comments:

Jazz Jackrabbit has been my favorite game because of the beautiful music, and this song was my favorite. The level where this music was played took place in a dark castle, with rain and thunder. I decided to make a remix of the song and make it a bit more emersive. It was created using Fruityloops, a Yahama PSR500 keyboard, and a lot of samples i collected over the last years. I hope you like it! If the link won't work please email me, i'll try to find another server.

Contact Info

ReMixer name: Dreams

Email: dreamsmsn@chello.nl

Userid on the forums: Dreams

i love the original tune. i so wanted this to be good, and it is pretty good...

but whyyy did you have to follow the original almost identically?

i gave your website a look,

you know what?

you and i are from the same era of gaming!

we are like brothers!

very sorry to reject something from my brother...

no

Repetitive, no real developement, and ridiculously source-like. At 2:07 when the 2 and 4 snares drop out, the syncopated nature of the kick drum pattern temporarily forms the backbone of the groove. Good stuff... though it only lasted for ten seconds. I like how much you have honored your source tune but feel free to let a bit more of your own stuff show next time. Oh yeah, and thanks so much for giving us the original. Everyone should do that!!

n0

The portion of the source tune as used in this one really got underway at 1:16 of the .s3m file. I thought the arrangement was decent, but at :27 there's the drums basically copying the pattern of the source. There were only 2 relatively simple/straightforward drum & cymbal patterns throughout the whole track.

The arrangement seemed conservative and underwhelming; not really much substance here, so I can understand why Shna pointed this out as being "too source-like". The melody only showed up from 1:40-2:57 without much interpretation. AkumajoBelmont did a great job of working with the melodies he had available in this source for his own Jazz Jackrabbit mix, but nothing's been explored here.

Not poorly produced by any means, Joost, but where's the beef?

NO

The other guys have covered the reasons that I have to put the final nail on this. I love Jazz Jackrabbit and I was excited to see a mix of arguably the coolest song from the game on the panel but it’s not nearly interpretive enough. The mix has a nice thick groove (repetitive though), a dreamy reverb (a little overbearing during the fuller sections), and some decent samples. Throw more of your own arrangement flare into the mix the next time around. Keep working at it.

NO

Oh and thanks for your website, it brought back a lot of memories. Commander Keen, SkyRoads, Crystal Caves man…Crystal Caves…