FL studio static/popping

EC2151

For FL users:

When I play back my piece in FL studio 10, there's no real problem in terms of audio quality (remix quality is different! :smile: ). However, when I export the project, it seems like there's a shitton of static, crackling, and popping that crops up in the mean time that is fucking awful and I don't know how to get rid of. I've tried going to 128-sinc sampling, and rendering at 256k, but the static is still there, though it is not present when I play the track in FL.

Anyone have any solutions?

I've checked to make sure that it isn't my headphones, or laptop speakers (though if it's my soundcard somehow, I'd have no way of knowing).

EDIT:

Now I'm not so sure, because replaying the rendered file, there is no static or popping now!

Ummmm, not sure what to say there. It must be some technical hardware problem on my end, but not sure what.

Are you playing it back while exporting? Because this could be too much for your processor to do both at the same time and hence your audio keeps getting flawed. But since the exported file doesn't need to be rendered in real time, it won't be flawed.

So if you do, just stop your audio and wait for the exported file to be finished

My laptop is getting old, so I've experienced popping while playing back my song in FL. It usually happens when I'm running multiple things while using FL. I don't run other things when I'm using FL anymore. That usually solves the problem.

My laptop is getting old, so I've experienced popping while playing back my song in FL. It usually happens when I'm running multiple things while using FL. I don't run other things when I'm using FL anymore. That usually solves the problem.

Man, my lappy is new...

But you're generally right - the popping doesn't happen when there is a low CPU usage.

FL Studio generally has a latency compensation enabled, meaning it waits for the synth or instrument to finish its run. But if the processor is overloaded, the synth can't complete in realtime and so the buffer for your soundcard can't be filled in time, so the buffer is underrun (incomplete).

Another explanation might be that your soundcard buffer is too small, meaning the buffer has to be filled more often. This reduces the latency between e.g. your MIDI controller and the sound you hear when you press a key, but the smaller the buffer, the faster the processor has to fill it.

I hope this wasn't too smart-alecky