*NO* Lufia 2 'To Become Immortal, and Then Die'

djpretzel

* Contact Info

Remixer Name: SirRus

Email Address: Ravi.U.Sharma-1@ou.edu

*Remix Info

Name of game Remixed: Lufia 2

Name of song Remixed: umm I used 2 songs: its the final boss battle theme of Lufia 2 and also that one song that djp and Faze remixed the mystery lady

Your own comments about the mix: The good news: I'm on a roll again with music makin! The bad news: I should be studying for the MCAT instead.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.snesmusic.org/spcsets/ed2.rsn - "Final Battle" (ed2-207.spc) & "The Prophet" (ed2-114.spc)

Right from the get-go, the track already sounded muffled and very very distant, and the piano sample sounded very thin and artificial. The atmosphere could have been purposeful, so I waited to see what was gonna happen, but at :21, when more elements came in, I knew the production was gonna be lacking the whole way through. There's a lot of clutter in the low-end and no sharpness to this track whatsoever. The piano really needs to sound richer and as the melodic lead should have stood out more versus the strings, which sounded better.

The treatment of "Final Battle" got a bit more epic-sounding at :40 when a drum pattern came in. The lead was still competing for prominence against the supporting elements. Liked the ideas starting at 1:00 with the change in style, though the change might have been too abrupt. Still had the piano on lead just smooshing together with the supporting instrumentation during the coverage of "The Prophet" from 1:18-1:42. Really, really gotta work on the sound balance.

Strings took over the lead role at 2:10 with the melody on support, but they sounded strong & driving; purposeful reasons to be loud. 2:28 went for a more somber take on Final Battle that was a nice idea in principle. Again with the instruments jumbling together; meh. Beautiful touch with the piano notes at 3:03 for the finish.

Richer-sounding piano (and perhaps richer-sounding instrumentation) is needed, less reverb, the presence of high-end frequencies, the presence of panning, better sound balance among the instruments, and sharper production in general is needed. Please continue to hang out at the venerable "OC Postproduction and Mastering Thang" and get diligent on getting all that down with practice.

The arrangement is alright, but I'll admit I can't pay as much attention to the content when the track is so messy like this, so someone else is gonna have to get critical on that.

NO (resubmit)

I don't know how much thought went into the layering in certain sections but they could use some more. WANT SOME EXAMPLES?? At 1:53 the solo string parts are playing standing harmonies that dampen the intensity of the moving strings/piano/snare drum combination without adding anything significant by playing notes that are already being handled by the other instruments. The piano at 2:15 is struggling for audibility amidst the waves of string action and the attack on the cello that enters at 1:04 makes it sound as though it's not playing in tempo. Also, the cello is located in the same register as the harp while frequently producing notes that are disagreement with it.

Though the way in which the instruments work together, or against each other rather, isn't spectacular, the textures provided by the choice of instrumental combinations can be pleasing at times like the "style change" that Liontamer mentioned at 1:01. One particularly strong portion of the mix comes at 2:30 with the multiple solo string parts. Here the sonic texture works well, but actually so do the notes themselves as each part fits in without any needless crowding. Soon after, the piano jumps in just on time to bring us home.

The biggest weakness here comes from the sloppy interaction between the instruments. A smaller issue is the start-and-stop flow of the arrangement. Each section ends only moments after it begins, never allowing for any continued development or significant build up. On the bright side, there are some lovely textures and a rather slick ending to top things off. Untangle some of that instrumental gridlock and maybe think about throwing in more transitions between sections so that they can grow or morph into one another. If you do all that then you'll definitely have a winner!

n0 (Resubmit)

too thin. the arrangement is buried underneath the terrible piano and the campy strings... i can tell that its a good arrangement udnerneath but its very difficult to get into...

it changes often so it keeps it fresh but then there are just too many different instruments trying to communicate with each other but failing. in a nutshell, chemistry... the instruments are lacking immense chemistry between themselves...

there are some good points, though. as shnababulus pointed out, your ending is wicked. i like some of the textures... but all feels so jarring and disjointed. work on the chemistry of the track... get it all to fit together and you'll be there.

NO

Well the good news is that there are decent samples in play and the arrangement is good as well. The bad news is that, as has already been said, the interaction between the instruments is generally sloppy. I’m with Larry that a darker, shorter-tailed reverb would help matters but some significant restructuring in terms of panning, EQ, etc. is also in need. Compositionally I don’t think that the piece jumps around too much but a stronger development of each section (that would probably be the result of tighter production and better instrumentation) would help make this much more satisfying.

I’d like to note that the piano roll to the chimes and strings at 2:10 is pretty cool.

Good work but a lot of loose ends need to be tightened.

NO