Contact Info:

Your ReMixer name: Dace K

Your real name: David Marsh

Your email address: Megrim@graffiti.net

Your userid (number, not name) on our forums: Still no clue how to find this =/

ReMix Info:

Name of game(s) ReMixed: Street Fighter Alpha

Name of individual song(s) ReMixed: Ryu's Stage

Additional information about game if it has not yet been added to the site, including composer, system, etc.:

Original Composer(s): Alfh Lyra, Setsuo, Syun Nishigaki, Tatsuro Zuzuki

Copyright: Capcom

Year: 1995

System: Playstation, Arcade

Link to the original soundtrack if it is not one of the sound archives already available on the site:

I couldn't find a copy of the original soundfile, but it's essentially the same as Ryu's stage for SFA2 and the SF2 series.

Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc.

While playing the SFA rom on Callus, I had my bass turned up really high, and noticed how great Ryu's bassline is. I originally had made this up as a drum'n bass mix, but after some posts on the forums and some great advice by Harmony, I added some string harmony and then shakuhachi counterharmony to that, while aiming to keep a driving d'n'b line.

If anyone's got high expectations for a Street Fighter Alpha mix, it's me. Starting out, the track was already too muddy. Ryu's theme kicked it at :25 on bass, and the supporting elements totally washed the piece out. I heard some almost happy hardcore-ish percussion work in the background but it was very subdued. Not a fan of all the sounds bleeding into each other this way whatsoever. The spot at 1:44 where the bass was briefly loud made absolutely no sense cuz it was never used again. What was the point? Same with the lone SFX usage at 1:54.

The arrangement was really dragging out by the 2-minute mark. Some tacky cymbals showed up at 2:06 and didn't leave until the very end. The melody on the bass guitar dropped down at 2:17 and just didn't work. The ending at 3:00 was pretty scattershot on the composition and just abrupt overall; there was no build or transition to it. Bleh, what a mess.

NO

There are some serious tuning issues with the strings in this mix. I agree with Liontamer about the sounds bleeding into one another. I actually like when the bass emerges at 1:45 though it's true that it doesn't stick around long enough for that brief exposure to seem like anything more than an accident. Starting at 2:16 the detuned stuff begins developing some charm when it's left alone with just the bass and quiet percussion because now I am able to tell exactly where that slightly disturbing sound is coming from so I have the option of letting it take me places, where as before there was so much other stuff going on that it felt like a bitter aftertaste.

At best this is an interesting mix using unique textures to create a somewhat unsettling, but intruiging none-the-less, listening experience. At worst it's a poorly executed ambient track. Either way it's a

n0

Ah, we’ve talked a lot about this mix David and it’s come such a long way from the first time that I heard it. Glad to see that you’re constantly improving it and your skills as a remixer.

This one isn’t up to OCR standards yet though. There’s a lot of reverb here that clouds up the mix. This is especially true of the low taiko drums. Further adding to the clutter, not much panning is used so all of the instruments sit right on top of each other.

The percussion seems to jump around and not really get into any solid groove which makes it difficult to get into the song. Try getting a solid repetitive beat down and laying that under the entire track. Then add and subtract from it as necessary to give enough variety. I wouldn’t say that this is the best way to build a drum track but I think it will help in this situation. Additionally, you’ve got a pretty cool bassline with an interesting breakdown at 1:44 but it needs a lot of humanization and variation.

Feel free to keep working on this one but don’t neglect working on other projects too. A lot of experience comes in the form of the shear number of songs that you’ve tried to remix so start building your portfolio :D

NO

that bass drum along with the bass guitar makes the beginning of the song sound awfully goopy. You've really got to make that bass cut through a bit more with the middle frequencies.

The problem with the strings is toooo much reverb. as it is this mix seriously suffers from too much low end and thus mud. please clean it up. dont neglect the high frequencies.

NO