OCR01402 - *YES* Kirby's Adventure 'The Ballad of Sir Kibbles'

djpretzel

And bits, and bits, and bits - djp

Dear DJP and Panel,

What is this, two Suzumebachi submissions within a month's time? After over two years of inaction? I'm as confused as you are. I think. No yeah, I am. Regardless, as you have probably surmised, this song is from Mr. DarkeSword's illustrious Kirby Arrangement project, Rise of the Star. It's a bit different from my usual shit. I think. The guitar work was all done in one take because, go figure, after the first take my equipment refused to work, and I ended up having to replace my sound card. Though I eventually ended up getting an E-MU 1820M, which I am quite happy with. And I digress. The percussion is rather simplistic, as in my Xenogears mix (hmm.. maybe I just suck with triple meter.. oh well). I'm most proud of the keyboard work, which was played live as well, and obviously quantized (HA). Also, I'd definately like to point out and thank Darangen and Mr. Ansari for helping me with the mixing/mastering side of things (not to mention, Shariq, for the cracking of the IRC whip).

You can find it here:

If by some chance my server dies or something, you know where to contact me (AS USUAL) ok afk.

Love,

Ty "Suzumebachi" Guenley

<3

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/kirbys~1.zip - Track 28 & 29

I remember hearing the WIP of this a long while back as Ty was getting back into the game and feeling out ideas for his Kirby project contribution. The volume was overly loud, but I generally liked where this went.

Nice loose guitar with the power for the intro, along with some piano taking over the lead at :23. Too bad the bassline wasn't more pronounced. It doesn't engage my blackness, you white devil! Good stuff with the percussion until :45 oversimplied things there without the cymbals being used prominently. Too plain-jane but somewhat tolerable.

Loved the synth lead at 1:07 for the faux-analoq feel followed by the guitar at 1:19 and the piano at 1:29. Great tradeoffs there for the melodic instrumentation. Things focused more tightly on the synth again at 1:52, but that lazy drumbeat returned. Could have at least gone for some mildly creative fills and whatnot.

Almost a nice fadeout of the synth at 2:13, but you shouldn't have let it completely cut out at 2:18 to transition to the string pads, since it left the track feeling completely empty for that fraction of a second.

The string pads at 2:18 were rather iffy and too bright/loud compared to the guitar work, so the idea was good but the pads were invasive within the final section. Nonetheless, it was a nice idea for the close and the arrangement was solid in my opinion.

Wouldn't mind this getting tweaked a bit further with these levels or the occasionally sparse percussion, but otherwise it's all systems go. Good contribution for Rise of the Star and nice work, Ty!

YES

Fun portamento octave hopping at 0:41. The three note repeating upward moving support pattern at 0:45 and 1:52 adds some much needed momentum considering the relatively plain drumwork, though I was dissapointed when both times after the transposition it became an all too typical up and then down again 6 note arch. The bass plays by itself it its lower register sandbox though it occasionally emerges for some cohabitation with the other instruments like at 1:29 when it answers the call of the guitar. That little bit was most satisfying.

At 2:15 you chose the perfect note to go out on since it could have continued to fade after the strings came in which would have made a much smoother transition, but for some reason you felt obligated to make sure it was gone by the time the strings arrived. Despite mixing issues and akward attack on the strings during the drumless portion of the mix, the guitar part floated gently over the standing chords bringing out the beauty of the source melody. When the 3 note pattern I so adore returns at 2:52, it only strengthens the effect by creating a stronger foward drive without taking away from the openness caused by the absence of drums. Luckily this time it doesn't trasnmogrify into a boring rise and fall figure like it did in the first two instances.

This accomplished what is in my opinion one of the most important things in ReMixing which is to truly honor the source by highlighting it's strengths. At first you showcase the action-packed potential of the original and then you display how it could also stand up on the strength of its melody alone. KUDOS!

YeS

nice and dirty

yum

i love ty's tone, its very real. the arrangement is very entertaining and moving. great question answer work for the solo

the arrangement is where this shines. talk about brilliant use of the source... you didnt depend on your guitar to make the arrangement... it was your musical understanding that made it. i was really impressed by the arrangement. i had no problems with this one compositionally

i do however have a problem with the drums. i'm not a stickler for quality of percussion cuz it would make me the biggest hypocrite this side of capitol hill but really, the drums are just too far in the back.

the thing is, it doesn't take away from the track and that is frightening. i still enjoy it a lot and its still musically full of merit

i normally would not yes something with such a distinct lack of bottom in such a distinctly moving piece

but this is arrangement at some of its finest

YES

Arrangement and groove are rock solid. Come the end at 3:15 my ears are begging for more but to leave us wanting more is infinitely better than to leave us wanting less.

The piano sounds wonderful. I think the quantization is a little tight but it’s well within acceptable limits and a looser performance is only a matter of personal preference. The excellent guitar performance that I’ve come to expect from Ty is incorporated sparsely but with great impact. From the crunchy intro to the thematic pad/guitar solo at 2:30, the guitar adds a hint of that monster ballad vibe that children of the 80’s might especially appreciate.

I’ve got a few minor gripes here and there. Most notably is the simplicity of both the percussion and the synth design. While I would like more original sounding synths at 1:52 or more robust drum sequencing throughout, I’ll chalk both up to a successful attempt to remain somewhat true to the feel of the original. Also, as Larry mentions, I think that the pads are mixed a bit loudly, especially past 2:20. They give way to much presence to the outro in which a softer approach would yield a smoother resolution.

Good stuff all around though and a favorite of mine from RoTS. Congrats on your successful work on that project and on another posted ReMix.

YES