OCR02792 - *YES* Prime 'Killer Studio Chops'

OceansAndrew

Brandon Strader

www.bstrader.net

Game: Ultraverse: Prime (Sega CD)

Source: Theme Song

Composers: Tim Follin, Geoff Follin (Do two Follins become a Fellin'?)

Remixtitle: Killer Studio Chops

I would love for this to be on Dirge for the Follin if Larry wants it for his album... that album's been going for the last couple years though hasn't it? Is it ever going to come out? :D

Remix notes:

I made this in a couple days for MAGFest X Dwelling of Duels. They announced Nintendo vs. Sega month, and I had to drop my other plans and I thought, what do I even know from Nintendo or Sega that isn't Final Fantasy or something similarly overdone? And I remembered the Theme Song from Ultraverse: Prime. Norg made cricket noises when he announced it. It was awesome. If I had done something typical like Kirby maybe I'd have won!

Long story short, I worked on this for 2 days straight. I played it a string lower than the original (the source is in A, I put it in E) and I had to use the 7-string for those nice B-powerchords. The guitars got reamped with a lower gain setting than I recorded it with using amp sims, but I think it somehow still sounds heavier. Not to mention it's very clean and can turn up loud. The intro is supposed to make it sound like a real band is playing it, I was going for a band-realism sound. I guess I do that a lot. So like, the original is mad awesome and this remix stands alone, like the stinky cheese that it is... I respect and enjoy the originals for every remix, and I don't view the remixes as a replacement or a competition for the original so much as just an homage. My remix is silly and I love it, but check out the original too.

As for the title... I had picked 2 really dumb titles and then the whole "Killer Studio Chops" fiasco took place while I was recording this song. It seemed like a good fit.

I transcribed the lyrics by ear from the youtube. Here's my guess:

When he was a small boy did nothing but gaze at the filth in the street got him into a craze

Those days are done and he's ready to rock, and those who he hates are in for a shock

Oh he's growing so much, so strong..

He's gonna get himself some justice!

But what will come of those who cross his path?

Prime! Prime for action, baby he's...

Prime! Prime for action, yes he is.

Prime! Prime to explode on the streets of the city

Prime! Prime to deliver the good from the bad

And he's waiting for you

Taking out the garbage, breaking up his foes, he's a lawmaker doing what he knows!

Screaming into action, dealing out the pain, bumping up and thumping up those who fear his name!

And he's waiting for you

Hit it!

When he was a small boy did nothing but gaze at the filth in the street got him into a craze

Those days are done and he's ready to rock, and those who he hates are in for a shock

Not to seem blase about it, but I've already heard and loved this mix, so I'm keeping it short. The arrangement definitely keeps the structure of the original, but Brandon absolutely gives it his own unique style with the instrumentation, so it's not too cover-ish without interpretation. It's a bit long, but the original was the same way. Everything's sounding strong here.

YES

I really enjoyed this one at the DoD listening party and thought it should have placed higher. Good interpretation of the source, some good expansion, and i liked the rhythm playing with the more involved double kick stuff during the synth solo. The flute parts were nice as well, and it fit pretty nicely together. THere was a decent amount of high end space in the track, but everything felt meaty enough to feed even the hungriest of lionstamers.

Yes

• 1 month later...

Interesting source. Some sort of spoof superhero game I take it? Anyway...

Pretty solid rock take here. Good expansion here of the themes. Drums felt a bit on the thin side, but they're well sequenced for sure. Performances are solid too - you can hear how far Brandon's improved since his early submissions to the site.

Not much more to add, nice work here man.

Yes

You're constantly upping your vocal game, Brandon - this was well done in that department. Both the gruff and clean vocals came out well (and the gruff sounded inexplicably British, like Lemmy almost). The "Prime!" shouts were weak but they were in the original too. I can see you playing off that a little, if I'm generous. I don't even mention the rest of the performance because you crank out solid stuff effortlessly at this stage.

YES