Pokemon RBY Gym Leader Battle - D'n'B/Techno - "Surge"

jordanrooben

How is it that we only have one remix of this source here on OCRemix? It's like the most awesome video game song ever! Even here on the WIP forums. I don't think I've ever seen a WIP of this song.

Anyway, here's my take on the theme. I think this could be considered D'n'B, but as I have no experience with that genre, I don't know whether this would count as that. I tried to make it very bass and drum heavy, with a basic hypersaw lead. So, go listen and enjoy!

http://soundcloud.com/jordanrooben/pokemon-red-gym-battle-dnb

I think this is drum and bass but WHERE ARE THE DRUMS?

Seriously, they're getting completely covered up by the other instruments (especially the snare). Make the drums stand out instead of being quieter than everything else. I can't give you specific advice on mixing because I'm not very good at mixing myself. :\

Also, the sounds seem a little bit low quality. I would recommend equalizing them and cutting out unnecessary frequencies. This way they'll be overall less loud, which will reduce the compression and hopefully give the drums a fighting chance of being heard. You might also use the EQ to make the sounds more interesting.

This sounds cool but squeezed and empty. The bass is what's bothering me most, not very clean. I think this could benefit from having a lead synth and a supporting one instead of using the lead for pretty much everything melodic.

The arrangement is really, really cool, like I said. just needs cleaned up and dressed up.

Having a supporting synth is a great idea, thanks! As for the bass, I was in part aiming for a dirty bass so I guess it's good it sounds like that. I'll see what it would sound like if it were cleaner, but I'm afraid that would deviate too far from my vision for this track.

I think the song is very bare-boned. The sounds are conservative and need to do more, and the drums don't go beyond bass/hat (speaking of which, where is the bass?). Also, while I can't say the arrangement stays too close to the source, what isn't the source does not blend well with the source, imo. Also, it feels like the arrangement of the source parts is verbatim the original. It needs some more action, something that doesn't make me think "oh hey, Pokemon techno" and something that makes me think "oh damn, sweet ass techno."

So:

• More sounds
  • More drum
  • Liberal arrangement
  • Blended transitions

If you're going for that drum and bass feel you need to replace that bass drum (and as stated before) the drums are hardly noticeble. They need to be slap bang in your face. Look up some Pendulum for example (

). DnB has that trademark snare sound which is kinda bottom heavy. Zircon posted a tutorial on making drum beats in the production forum: http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38767 All the steps here are good when it comes producing any electronic-genre drums.

All the synths and bass will meld much better into the style if you can get the drums right. Having said that, if you can work a bit more on the patches that will get things groovin'. They're a little plain. If you don't want to spend ages programming sounds, layer some synths to give more depth. As for the arrangement, you could definitely expand on the original more. Think about building up more gradually. Break up the lead in smaller motifs that eventually expand to their full original forms when you go for a drop. Add some filtering to the synths. The bass synth needs more life. Try to make it a little less mechanical. But yeah, just keep on refining it. Listen to some DnB and find a track that you really like and perhaps just try and emulate some of the elements of it to really get the track pumping :)