FF7 - Highwind takes to the Skies Trance Remix

Crystan

Hi OCRemix Community!

I always loved the Highwind Theme of FF7 and a year ago ive started working on this trance remix and worked on it from time to time. Now i decided to register and post it here. Please tell me what you think. :)!!

(new)

http://www.indiedb.com/members/crystan/videos/ff7-highwind-takes-to-the-trance-revised#imagebox

(old)

http://www.indiedb.com/members/crystan/videos/ff7-highwind-takes-to-the-skies-remix#imagebox

I love the source. Definitely works well in the style. Pretty good stuff. The drums could be a little more in your face. The snare feels a little lost, getting that more noticeble in the mix will get this really going :)

You could definitely milk that intro more imo, tease the listener a little. With the drums (I'm pointing this out because I'm just terrible with drums) but you could definitely get some more variation on the beat. Get some fills going, drop out the snare for a bit, change the hi-hat rhythms. Just make sure they aren't too static. If you want references which are also VGM remixes, check out some of Blinds stuff. Don't be afraid to drop the bass for a bar or a few to really punctuate transitions or certain sections.

Hope that's of some use to you and look forward to hearing an update :)

Well it was a pleasure to listen, bright and wide.

I have to fully agree with what Magellanic said, except for the snare\clap part, i like how it sounds wide and far.

What i wish you can change is the main lead starting a 0.30.Try somenthing more direct and powerful,something less "liquid", with little to none panning

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Surely an improvement, im glad you took the time to make a better intro and outro.

I think this track has a great potential, i love the source and your take on it is brilliant, but it definitevly miss that "pro" touch.

I'm no pro, i'm struggling myself in the attempt to produce something that meets OC standards, i'm pretty sure that mod will point out that your mix miss some clarity.

On the arrangement side i think this is ok, i may suggest the introduction of a litlle break like Magellanic said, maybe before the 2'00'' that is the part with the biggest pathos.

Keep working on this, i hope someone more expert than me can post some suggestion to make this one awesome:)

Thanks for your reply. I never did a remix with this magnitude before (actually this is my second remix) and iam better in composing own music than in remixes. Btw iam not very happy with the lead instrument (FG Pure Drama preset of the Sawer vsti), hopefully i will find a better one. Anyway ill try to add a break and keep the post here updated. :)

• 3 weeks later...
Okay, i uploaded a new version. Added a break, changed some drums and added here and there some things. :)

And it's another step forward;)

Track seemed a little more clean,if i'm not mistaken you also have cleaned the kick\bass part, i found it more defined.

but you have to do something different with the break.Stop that kickdrum for some bars, make a little build-up and then let us enjoy the last part of the track:)

And it's another step forward;)

Track seemed a little more clean,if i'm not mistaken you also have cleaned the kick\bass part, i found it more defined.

but you have to do something different with the break.Stop that kickdrum for some bars, make a little build-up and then let us enjoy the last part of the track:)

Thanks again! :) Okay a new version is uploaded. I changed the break part altough iam not sure if it sounds bad or good.^^ Haven't changed much on the kicks - just modified the EQ a bit and remade the kick part beginning at 2:50.