*NO* Garfield: Caught in the Act 'Free Range Feline'

DragonAvenger

Link

Contact Information

Your ReMixer name - CJthemusicdude

Submission Information

Name of game(s) arranged - Garfield: Caught in the act. (Genesis and PC).

Name of arrangement - Free Range Feline

Name of individual song(s) arranged - Cave Cat 3,000,000 B.C. part 2.

Link to the original soundtrack (if it is not one of the sound archives already available on the site) -

Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc. - The "free" portion of the title stems from the fact that all of the synths/samples used in this mix are free ones. This mix is entirely composed of Synth1 instances and some free soundfonts and samples. I think the spaghetti western style is woefully under-represented so I hope to alleviate that somewhat. :P

• 1 month later...

Had to listen to this one a few times to really settle on it. I like that there's a lot of variation in your samples, especially as they are all free. The spaghetti western feel is pretty natural for the source, and I like how you incorporated it throughout in your mix. I'd say this is one of your better-produced mixes I've heard yet. Keep em coming!

YES

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah after the first listen I really had no clue how to vote on this. Definitely a unique approach as far as subs we get - it's not even just pure spaghetti western because of the weirdo synths and the caveman drumming. It's neat. There was some production things that bothered me throughout and it's only on that basis that I'm rejecting this. The arpeggiated guitar and the bass were both too fake sounding for how they were used, and the heavier drums felt somewhat disconnected, maybe too dry. I also felt like I lost the source connection in the second half, and though I can hear the chords, including some of the melody would help strengthen it. Can't sign off on this, but please take another shot at it.

NO (resubmit)

• 2 weeks later...

I like some of the ideas and arrangement here, interesting change half way through, almost kinda reminds me of ratatat a bit in the second half. the transition seemed a bit radical though, and the overall arrangement felt a bit rushed. also gotta agree that most of the sequencing is completely robotic, the sounds themselves are clicking together but the sequencing makes the whole track feel fake, especially during the arpeggios and such, as Vinnie mentioned. I'll agree that this is one of your stronger subs, however I think it still needs some work to reach the bar.

NO(resub)

This is really borderline for me - i thought the arrangement was very cool, but I do agree that the guitar arpeggios need to be less robotic and smoother. The strums sound good and are well sequenced. I think Vinnie has some good critique you can follow up on, but I think this has potential to make it on the front page! :-)

No, please resubmit

Yeah, right from :47, the robotic stiffness of the guitar sequencing sticks out too much. Love the treatment of the theme overall though, which was a surprisingly catchy source tune.

Wow, the track was SPARSE at the dropoff at 1:25. The drumming introduced there needs to fill up the space more while we're waiting for more elements to come in. The low encoding hurt the sound quality (we need at least 192kbps now, anyway), but totally agreed with Vinnie that the stiff sequencing was what ultimately dragged this down. I'm also agreed that more overt references to the source tune in the second half of the track would make the source use more obvious. Definitely resubmit this one, CJ, it's going in the right direction!

NO (resubmit)