*NO* Metroid 'Rebirth (Brinstar Theme)'

djpretzel

Email sub file: Metroid Rebirth (Brinstar Theme) OC ReMix.mp3

ReMixer Name: BladeForever

Game ReMixed: The Original Metroid

Song: Brinstar Theme

Could you guys please post your reviews on the site? Thanks.

First off, I do want to apologize that I had to send you the song as an attatchment. I had no other choice.

I used FL Studio to make this Mix. I was inspired to arrange the Brinstar Theme because whenever I would hear the chord progression in the Original, I could always hear other possibilities in my head while keeping the same overall feel. A lot of people have Mixed this song before, so I wanted to see if I could branch out and make something original. I chose the name Rebirth because I want people to feel as though this song means "peace has finally come". It's an ambient, orchestral piece with strings, timpanis, and choirs. I added a Phasing effect to the choir because to my ears, it gave it more of a spacey feel. This song is full of arrangements and sorts while still using the same chord progression (The G major, moving to B flat diminished).

This took me about a year or so to complete, because it was done in my spare time. Everything you hear is self-taught, for I have not been to school for synth work yet. I am very pleased how this has turned out, and most people who have heard it agree. The people on the forum told me I should submit this, so here I am. I hope you guys enjoy this and post it. If not, I still feel like I made a big accomplishment. Thanks for your time.

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/metroid.zip - Track 3 ("Brinstar")

Good sounds/texture for the intro, though some are a bit fakey for the way they're being used (strings/vox). Takes a while to build up, but 1:17 introduces some melodic content. Very very subdued. The fact that there aren't more elements involved makes the fake nature of the samples stick out all the more. The guitar coming in at 2:01 is a huge victim of that, sounding exceedingly mechanical, but most of the samples suffered from that level of exposure as well. The arrangement seems to be relatively simple and could use more ideas.

2:50 starts upping the tension with some low strings and drums, followed by another crescendo at 3:15. We get more reliant on the drums at 3:17 and the pace quickened. Still very synthetic sounding the whole way though, plus the panning was strange to me up until 3:57 or so. Things slowed down again for the last minute or so going for the finish.

The composition was decent, and was fairly limited on account of the samples/performance. Nonetheless, there were some good ideas here and some good uses of dynamics. Nothing superlative, but very noticeable and contributing to some nice points throughout the course of the track. Wish the arrangement was a bit more comprehensive, but it was alright.

Head to the ReMixing forum to get down with humanizing your samples and working on the production so some of the sounds sit better in the track and don't sound so thin. Good first go here, Justin, but this needs a lot of works with the finer details. Hope you have more time to dedicate to this.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

If this were Overclocked Intromix, you'd have an instant yes.

I love the ideas and the ~-new chordz-~ being used. You've got really interesting harmonics, and really interesting permutations of said harmonics throughout the piece.

A part of me questions whether there are some EQ issues, or if it's just my speakers. Certain elements seem to jump at me, and not in a very controlled or deliberate way. But since my speakers are suspect, I'll give you a mulligan on that.

It's when the song gets to it's halfway mark that it's weaknesses start to take the fore. Instruments take on an odd, haltingly synthesized quality. And at certain points, there is almost a hoe-down timbre to the piece. The transition, though not dreadful by any stretch of the imagination, seems... out of place?

On the whole I like it, but there are too many little details that are tugging at my no-strings... like so

NO

-That speedy section seems queerly out-of-place. See what you can do to better integrate it

GREAT pads. if i had a subwoofer i'd just sit back and joy the sweet vibrations of these fat major chords.

so, i love the build.

what i don't like is what this builds to.

i wasn't expecting this to turn into something huge but what i got was unsatisfying.

i do like this, it's interpretive and different.

i just think it needs to be tightened up at some points and reworked at others, please consider a resubmit?

i don't have detailed advice for you right now, but i'm always available for more info if you like.

actually i may consider changing my vote if others yes this.

no

This is actually a very interesting mix, and I have to say that you made pretty good use of the tools you had available. I know it's tough working with mostly free stuff (I'm assuming that's the case, as I recognized some of the soundfonts) and I was in that same position for a long time too. What's most important is that you have a very unique, creative, and interpretive arrangement. The source was tastefully rearranged with lots of new material and variations to fill it out. However.. that alone isn't enough to get a mix on to the site, which brings me to some of the negative points.

The intro is REALLY nice, for one thing. The phasing seems a bit heavy at times, and the piano/pizzicato strings seem a little too reverbed, though I commend you in general on your reverb/panning usage. By 2:03 it feels like the intro has been dragging on a bit long, as there's still not really much of a build or structure forming. Structure is really a key part to any good ReMix, as without a cohesive one, even the best rearrangement and production goes to waste.

2:54 seems like where things begin to pick up, but I gotta say, that sequenced snare kind of hurts (the rolls are nice at least). 3:18 is sort of a drop in quality. As Liontamer mentioned, stuff begins to sound very mechanical, most notably the drums and some of the synth-type stuff. I just wasn't really feeling this section or what was past it. Maybe it's because it was too sudden of a jump from the previous, relaxed, mostly-orchestral sections, I'm not sure. Either way, I would look into changing it. 4:07 begins a sort of transition section which is written well (though I would go for a little more reverb to mask the sample) - but it again loses the energy that was just built up, and then all of it fades away into a very weak ending, surprisingly. It started so well, why give up like that? Give it a REAL resolution, you're more than capable!

Overall it seems to me like the first half of the mix or so is superb, albeit perhaps a bit slow to build, and the second half is too abrupt and not polished enough, with a lame ending. You DEFINITELY have a good handle on things here, and I was seriously enjoying this, so please refine + resubmit!

NO