*NO* Diddy Kong Racing & Mega Man 2 'Flashkong: Raceman'

OceansAndrew

Remix Title: "Flashkong: Raceman"

Remixer name: MtM

Games: Diddy Kong Racing, Mega Man 2

Songs: Jungle Falls, Flash Man

Figured Guifrog should be dethroned from his monopoly over the Diddy Kong Racing remixes, haha.

Anyways, here's a little thing of indeterminate genre (I guess it's just generic electronic... I have no idea) that I put together. My roommate and I tried to play through all of Diddy Kong Racing last summer. We failed. Miserably. That game is hard. We were fine until the silver ring stuff. We played Jungle Falls so. Many. Times. And the song got stuck in my head. So I started a remix, and while I was working on it I realized that Flash Man's theme worked really well with it, so I decided to incorporate it. Then, once it was all done and rendered, I just stuck it in my iTunes library and forgot it for a while. I never really thought much of the mix itself until a couple weeks ago. I was walking to class, listening to my playlist of video game related stuff (About 90% of which is OCR), and it popped up. I realized I had made a pretty groovy little track, so I figured I would submit it and see how it fares.

Pretty cute combination of sources here, I'm feeling your inspiration!

However, the synth work on this is far too basic. To be honest, every sound in here seems like it could have been pulled from the same default Soundfont. There's plenty of free synths out there that are just a Google search away (or you can get usable demos for products like Zebra2) that can easily exceed the sample quality that you're using currently. You've got quite the groove here and I like what you did with the sources, but the fact of the matter is that you just need some better-quality samples to work with in order to take this to the next level.

There's more to be said but I feel like that is the main dealbreaker with this song that would need to be addressed. This idea has potential though, with a bit of an overhaul this might be worth taking a second listen to. Good luck!

NO

• 1 month later...

I'll call it a personal preference, but I wasn't really feeling the combination of the two sources much at all. The transition into Flashman stuck out particularly as awkward for me, but overall I don't think the two are a good match. I'm curious what the third judge thinks, but I will say that aside from the transition and some of the repetition that I'm hearing, I won't let that aspect of the mix vs. my personal feeling hold it back.

However, like Wes has said, the sounds are just very basic right now, and the mix is definitely being held back by them. I'd love to hear you reach out and get some new samples, free or otherwise, to expand your library and give you more to work with. I also think that you can finesse some of the parts to sound less mechanical as well. The percussion is a bit loop-heavy, and could have more fills and details to make them stand out.

I'm with Wes on this one, it's just not where it needs to be right now. Sorry!

NO (resubmit)

• 3 weeks later...

I think the arrangement is pretty clever, and the sources don't fit together completely seamlessly, but there is a lot of interesting things you do to make it work. Unfortunately, the samples used really are not up to the site standards. Wes and Deia both had some good information on picking up some better samples for free, and I think people in the WIP forums would be happy to point you n the right direction as well.

No, please resubmit