Name – Michael D

Email –

Website - http://soundcloud.com/trickery_dnb

User ID – 48795

Game – Pokémon Red/Blue

Name – Gengar used Shadow Ball!

Original – (Opening theme)

Link -

Notes – It was made as a personal challenge to do a remix of such an iconic tune. It was done in a ‘process music’ fashion – the original’s classic melody line was played in 3 sections, with balanced, independent chord progressions derived from each. Almost identical buildups were used to enter drops of surprisingly short length – it allows much variation in both texture and dynamics and for the whole theme to be exposed. The 3 sections are played with their resultant drops, then are combined for a longer more continuous section. By now, the theme itself has been lost somewhat and the idea is simply to create a big fat dancey DnB tune ^_^. The final section is complete beat science, with loads of references to recent tracks in DnB – serious +1 interwebz if anyone out there can recognise any of them. On the choices of sounds, the Amen break seemed to fit the 90s old schooly style and is top-endy enough not to be unsettled when the rhythm starts getting messed up. The lead line is a really simple saw/pulse mod wave from NI Massive with even less character than the original due to the lack of 8-bit snares and vibrato. The bottom end is dominated by a fat sub and reece-LFOd bassline, really giving it as much impact as possible and creating some kind of ‘randomness counterpoint’ due to the intermittent mids. Glitch FXs made sense due to the feel of the piece, dBlue’s Glitch multieffect was the order.

Enjoy.

• 1 month later...

The track is a lot of fun to listen to, but I think there are a few things that are preventing this from passing, and I'm not sure if they are fixing or worth fixing for what you have going here. First is that the arrangement generally is either extremely close to the original, or too far away to be recognizable as an arrangement of the theme. The middle section where the theme does come back in has some nice mixing between the theme and your own variation to it, but it doesn't stick around long.

The other big issue is that the theme is played on a sound that is pretty close to the original, to the point that calling it an upgrade is a bit of a stretch. Don't get me wrong, the sound works for what you're going for in this song, but looking at how close the melody is played along with the sound used just puts it too close to the original (when it is playing the theme). It could be argued that the mix is pretty sparse as well, but for what you are going for I do think it works in context.

I do think this is a fun song to listen to, and what you are going for is achieved well here, but I don't think it's a match for OC ReMix. I didn't hit on the fact that you mention a lot of references to other songs as well, which puts this further away from our standards. I hope you write something else in the future that will be a better fit and sub it, this was pretty cool as-is!

NO

• 2 weeks later...

This is pretty well done for sure, though I don't think the source is prominent enough for it to really feel like a pokemon track for most of this. I think the backing sounds are great, though I do with the lead had more personality; it feels very mechanical as-is.

Overall I will echo Deia here in that I like the track but feel that it's current state is not the best fit for OCR. I think if you added more prominent source in the original sections and adjusted the lead sound it would be a lot closer.

No

Pretty much agreed with what the two above me had to say. I love the expansion you've got on top of the Gameboy-esque foundation. You could definitely add in a more constant, dominant bassline once the breakbeats actually come in, those sections still sound strangely empty because of how much attack you have on the bassline.

There's truthfully just not even CLOSE to enough source usage in here unless I'm just missing something during those extended sections where only the delayed broken chords are playing... I don't think I could pass this on those grounds alone.

I'm really enjoying the unconventional approach here but I don't think it's right for the site, either. Sorry man :-(

NO