*NO* Super Mario RPG 'Time for Nostalgia'

OceansAndrew

Song for submisson-

the song is available for download on the page itself.

ReMixer name- J_SWZL (read as J-Swizzle)

Name- Jose Fernandez

E-mail- superdupersnail23@yahoo.com

Website- soundcloud.com/j-swzl or j-swizzle.bandcamp.com

Game arranged- Super Mario RPG

Name of arrangement- Time For Nostalgia

Name of song used- Forrest Maze

This remix was made using FL Studio 10 and was 100% created from the ground up (by that I mean I did not sample any music from the original game)

This was my first video game remix. Enjoy.

Right off the bat, synths are sounding pretty basic/generic. They don't sound "bad" per-se, they don't don't have a lot of style to them to make them sound interesting to the listener. See if you can bring some life through effects (like automated filtering, etc), or replace some of them with some more nuanced synths.

Ehh, I guess it's opinion, but I don't feel like the synth voice "J Swizzle in da house" is really doing you any favors here :)

There's a lot of pressure coming from the kick, which is crowding out other elements. I hear where you started side-chaining it later, but that just makes the problem more pronounced. Could be kick is overcompressed or it's just taking up too much eq room. Same thing with the sub bass around 2:20.

Arrangement-wise, this sticks pretty close to the source chords/progression/melody. Mainly, it relys adding & subtracting parts throughout. This will need quite a bit more personalization to get it over the arrangement bar.

I hope this judgement isn't too discouraging. You've clearly mastered the basics of FL Studio, just need to keep working at it from both a producion and arrangement perspective to hit the front page here.

No

• 1 month later...

I think Justin pretty much hit all the points I would want to in this. The sounds overall are servicable, but they definitely could use some tlc to bring more life to them. Aside from the drums specifically, I'd look into adding some more humanization to the parts.

The arrangement is fairly simple and gets repetitive pretty quickly. There's a lot you can do to switch around the parts and melodic lines, and maybe consider fooling around with the harmony or adding some counter-melodies. And I'd pull the vocal clips :)

You've got a start here, but I won't lie; this is going to take some work. I'd suggest hitting up our WIP forums to get some more advice on ways to bring this up to par.

NO

the main thing i notice is how repetitive the kick and clap are, and while a lot of the synths are interesting, like the gated one,

Productionwise, there is a ton of pumping that is very distracting, you need to adjust the EQ on the kick.

I guess reading over the judge votes already in place, i'd pretty much just be repeating what they said, so I think you should take their advice and also work on the ending, as the sudden end isn't really cutting it.

I am down with J_SWZL being in the house, but this track needs a little more polish before we let it in. I am looking forward to an update. :-)

No, please resubmit