*NO* Minecraft 'Calming Dawn'

DragonAvenger

Here is the link to my remix:

If that link doesn't work for whatever reason, here is another: http://pisanifamily.info/will/Minecraft%20-%20Calming%20Dawn.mp3

Contact Information

Remixer name: Light_of_Aether

Email address:

Website: Metroid Reorchestrated (link: http://www.mreomusic.com)

Userid: 44453

Submission Information

Name of game arranged: Minecraft

Name of arrangement: Calming Dawn

Name of individual song arranged: Sweden (also known as Calm 3)

Link to the OST:

My comments:

This past October, one of my college friends, knowing that I'm the Lead Reorchestrator of Metroid Reorchestrated, said that I should do a Minecraft Reorchestrated. It was an interesting idea so I went online hoping to find some midi files from Minecraft. I found the piano midi for the song Calm 3 (Sweden) and proceeded to play around with it in Reaper, just producing straight covers with additional instruments at first. It wasn't until I realized that I could reverse the midi that the piece started to take shape. The harp part at the beginning is actually the last several bars of the original song, albeit reversed. After several months of working on and off, the piece is finally done. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out; there isn't anything that I would change.

One last thing, Calming Dawn is named so because it is a pretty calming, soothing song, and because, while writing it, I envisioned the song as being the musical representation of dawn in Minecraft. The Penderecki strings simulating a gentle rain, the female choir conveying the sense of a lifting fog, and the entrance of the piano symbolizing the rising sun peeking over the horizon.

• 1 month later...

This feels pretty nice, but I think the solo violin is a little too dry and the sequencing is stiff and fake sounding. The backing strings and effects sounded really nice. The instrumentation didn't stray much from the original of being piano and strings, and that's fine, though I don't think a lot of melodic expansion happened, and maybe it should.

Overall there are some nice elements here, but the soundscape needs to sound more natural throughout, so adjust those lead sounds to fit better with everything else and sound smoother.

No, please resubmit

• 3 weeks later...

Andrew hit a lot of good points. For me, the overall mechanical feel of the piece sticks out because of how exposed your instrumentation is. When you're going for something delicate like this, the emotion or lack thereof can make a big difference. Similarly, in terms of OCR standards, I think having some more expansion on the theme would make a difference here as well.

I think you've got a great start here, and it will really come down to the small details to make this really shine. I hope you continue to work on this!

NO (resubmit)

Violin is killing it for me. Very fakey, whiny violin sample that ends up sounding very exposed. Piano feels very mechanical too. There could be so much more done with the female choir in the beginning too; something more than simple block chords.

Some nice ideas but the execution is really flat. Mechanical sequencing and general lack of a really emotive experience just doesn't cut it.

NO