*NO* Clock Tower 'You Run Like a Girl'

djpretzel

This ReMix is from the first "Clock Tower" game for SNES. It's not a remix of any particular song because all the tunes in the soudntrack seem to follow the same basic theme(s). I've never actually played the game, just DLed the soundtrack off zophar, so I made this track just imagining what it would be like... to be on the run from a homicidal maniac in a dark house.

On with the itemized information!

ReMixer name - nepsus

real name - Price Colran

Name of game(s) - Clock Tower

Name of individual song(s) - Half of them :P

Additional information - Well it's an SNES game published by ASCII and according to Zophar the music was made by Kouji Niikura

hope I got the ID3 tags right

cheers

I like this so far. the track is meaty. it's not quite ready yet. for the most part it stays in the same place for the first 2 minutes of the song. I'd like the song to be longer, and I'd like to hear you use more dynamic contrast and build to a more defined climax. just a little more direction, plz.

NO

Sources:

http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/snes/clock.mid - Don't Cry, Jennifer

http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/snes/Evil_Church.mid - Evil Church

http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/snes/kerosene.mid - Kerosene

http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/snes/Mary.mid - Looking for Mrs. Mary

Okay after listening through the various sources, it's easy to see that they all use a recurring theme which is simply changed around a little from source to source.

This remix attempts to go down a grunge rock path in remixing this source. The sound we get isn't bad in a sense, it's pretty grungy, however the problem here is that it sounds so fake. You need to get a real guitarist in for this type of hardcore mix and really pound out that live guitar sound. The drums sound too prominent, they need to be crunchier and be buried in the mix a little more, dropping the pitch on drums can give them the length and tone that you'd want in this kind of mix, that way the snare isn't so sharp and distracting. The choir pads used at the beginning of the mix sound pretty good, but I'd give them a little more reverb or delay so they're still audible when the guitar jabs in every second bar.

The arrangement is pretty apparent after listening through the sources. You can hear the theme clearly through the remix, and it's mixed up quite well to bring in the elements of each piece. No complaints here.

Overall, it's a great idea which I think could work will if given the proper attention to quality and detail. If you're willing to put the time and effort into it. You could get a good grunge-rock remix out of this, it just needs that live sound to give it that proper edge.

NO

http://snesmusic.org/spcsets/ctow.rsn - "Don't Cry, Jennifer" (ctow-09.spc), "Dark Premonition" (ctow-03.spc), "I'm Looking For Mary" (ctow-05.spc), "Satanic Place Of Worship" (ctow-15.spc), "Karosene" (ctow-16.spc), "Death In The Elevator" (ctow-18.spc), "The Nightmare Is Finally Over..." (ctow-21.spc), etc.

I wasn't really feeling the vox in the intro. Decent coverage of the melody at :11. The bassline is a bit too synthetic, IMO, but I liked the belltones a lot. Strings at :22 were too synthethic sounding and thin; no texture there. Electric guitar synth at :33 had 0 power and meat to it. The drums sounded REALLY cheap.

Personally, I didn't think the melodic content was that hot, but I see how nespus did meaningful things on the arrangement side. Pretty much just a lot of weak sounds in play unfortunately; the samples really weren't used to the best of their ability. Pretty cluttered from 1:19-1:53 when things sounded full. Not too much so, but at the same time, the vox and guitar, the 2 most central sounds, don't cut through to the forefront at all. Work on the sound balance there.

Most fake-sounding strings at 1:55, though those were better than at :22. Guitar was still very thin. Last section at 2:20 was repetitive and anti-climactic. Ending at 2:42 was too sudden, almost "Ok, I give up"-ish. Develop the ideas more. Decent effort here, as at least some good things were going on, and there was some potential. At the same time though, it needs a lot more work to get it to a passable level.

NO

I like some of the creative concepts being expressed in the mix, the execution on the other hand, I'm not too sure about. I liked things until the rhythm guitar appeared. I don't think it really worked in this context. It sounded a bit thin and ugly. For me it clashed texturally with everything else. It sounded very synthish.

The rest of the material is pretty well done. I liked your usage of the tubular bell. The stop and starts in the composition added interest to the pacing.

Nice ending too. Overall, I thought this was definitely above average. But this is in need of some better conceptual ideas, direction and execution in the mixing and mastering as well. Pretty good stuff, but I don't think it's ready at all yet.

NO