Street Fighter 3 and 4: Demon Syndrome (Oni vs. Yang)

I guess I haven't subbed anything in a while, and it's been even longer since I had a piece in this forum. This one's really grown on me. Plus, if it gets accepted, it'll keep my streak of temple-y/jungle-y jams to-be-posted on OCR :P

I put this together in a night for the Street Fighter compo a few months back. Throw me all the crits you got. Thanks a ton :D

Sources:

Remix:

Demon Syndrome

pH

I'm really hoping someone more familiar with production in your genre can come in here to give you some crits, because I got nothin'. I love this track, and would love to see it hit the front page.

Thanks man! :D I'm hoping so too haha. Glad you're digging though

My cheap speakers at work won't do this justice so I'll check this out later headphone style 8-O

Lemme know what you think when you get a good listen in ;)

Whoa, whoa, hey! This is badass as hell! :D

I'm loving the intensity. The mood is awesome. And I'm not the best reference for production, but this sounds really professional!

0:47 and 1:50 are jizztastic man! SOOO good! The lead pickup at 2:24 is epic too!

I love your lead synth too. Really tasty! I really like what you do with it too, but it could be a tad better though (in my tastes). The bends and slides are great, but I'd have thrown a few more vibratos in there. It might be just me though. ;)

The melodies are cool too, but I really think there's room for more crazy exploration. I'm a bit biased about big synth solos, but I really think you should try fooling around a bit more with the melodies.

I also think it's a bit short, but that's not really a valid crit. It's just really good, so I wanted more. ;)

So yeah, not much to say except that this is really awesome! :D Great job, man!

Yeah so it was my intention to listen to this to try to give some critical feedback... but yeah I got nothing....

From a production standpoint I think this thing sounds pretty darn good to me. I really enjoy the instrumentation, very cool use of the ethnic/temple-y instruments you're kinda known for and the combination of the lead synths. I really dig the percussion and stutter effects too, great job there. The overall atmosphere & intro/outro parts are great too, it really sets the mood for the piece.

Ultimately the arrangement decisions are 100% your choice, but I kinda agree with DaMonz here. That lead synth does stick pretty close to the same melody each time it's reintroduced. At 2:26 (which is the 3rd time that lead synth melody line plays I believe) would be a great opportunity to expand on that melody and explore some different stuff. Some crazy synth solo there would be pretty badass. Then you could have it fade out to the 2:37 section and keep the outro bit the same. I just think that would be a good place to do something a bit more original and add that little extra pizazz to the piece (not to mention it'd make the song a little longer too :-D)

Great great song overall though, regardless if you expand that 2:26 section or not. Nice work Pete!

Ooooh, synth solo! Good idea guys. I've been looking for ways to improve the arrangement, and that could be what gets the creative juices flowing to do it.

I can definitely work with the expressiveness of the lead... It's annoying to do vibrato work, because most of my synths are actually custom waveforms plugged into a super basic oscillator with a shitload of processing :P I didn't have time to do it when I was initially working on this, because I procrastinated till the last night of my mixing round to put it together, but I can certainly work with it now that there's no time crunch.

And professional you say!? Haha, I don't think I'm there yet, but I have learned a LOT in the year I've been working with FL, and I'm really excited to be improving. I fully intend to be at a professional level sometime, but I've got some work to do :D

Thanks for all the feedback guys!

pH

Yo. This sounds great, it really does.

The only thing I want to say is that at 1:11 it sounds like it's going somewhere else (sounds cool) but that part only lasts a few seconds, and a new section starts at 1:17. It felt to me like you could expand that part, maybe into a solo. It just sounds short to me--like you're taking off in an airplane into a new adventure and then the plane lands 6 seconds later. Sorry if that's a stupid analogy .. just my take.

It's really good. Nice drumming B)

Some intense rhythmwork here. That thing that comes in at 1:51 sounds like it should be further back in the soundscape. It's cool, but it's not loud enough to take center stage like it does now.

The glitchy effects are sweet, you've got a lot of cool stuff going on here, in the writing, the sound design... So yeah, all that is cool.

Source? Well the first Oni stuff is obvious, so's the Yang backing. Oni-based lead. Yang-based breakdown. More Oni lead. Yeah, you know what you're doing source-wise.

Kickass track, Pete, nice work. My assessment is that this is postable.

Awesome man, thanks a lot :D

You can switch it back from Mod Review, I'll probably just touch up the arrangement and then sub it when I get around to it. If any other mods have problems with production etc., I'd love to hear about it, but I don't wanna be a mod hog when there's other pieces up for mod review.

Thanks again Ad!