*NO* Chrono Trigger & Chrono Cross 'Darko Trigger'

DragonAvenger

Remixer: HoboKa

Remix:

Source Tunes: Chrono Trigger: AD 2600, No Hope and Chrono Cross: Prisoners of Fate

Details:

Hey all at the J panel - I went for a more organic approach this time and fiddled around with some filter fx, humanization and so forth.

I was inspired by the games of course, but also Donny Darko, namely the track: Mad World (by Tears for Fears and remixed by someone, can't remember who off top of my head)

Anyways, I hope you guys and gals enjoy my remix...

----------------------

- no hope

- CC

• 1 month later...

Interesting opening that eventually revealed itself as "Ruined World" around :22, as far as I can hear.

Weird changeup at 1:27. Not sure what was going on melodically with this section, as I couldn't tell if it was tied to any of the sources. It seemed to be loosely tied to the CT game over theme for maybe 10 seconds, but not really after that. If someone could ID what, if anything, was being arranged from 1:27-2:45, let me know. In any case, it felt like a more meandering section that came off as filler.

"People Seized with Life" arrived at 2:47. The soundscape was decent, but the plucked string sequencing brought in at 3:00 sounded too robotic and unrealistic. Not sure why there was a programmed note flub at 3:44, but it needs a quick fix as well. The overall instrumentation of this piece was fairly solid, so make sure there's no weak links in realism if possible.

Nice change in the mood of the source at 3:55. It was structurally conservative, but had a much more forceful sound than the original, with an even bigger dose of strength at 4:25. The mixing was a bit muddy, and the levels got too loud then, but the overall arrangement approach, while conservative, was personalized well in the section. The piano sequencing in the background of that section was rigid, but those flaws were covered up nicely due to the placement of the instrument.

Then at 5:00 the rigidity of the piano was exposed. And again, I'm totally missing what theme, if any, was supposed to be represented here. I guess another part of "People Seized with Life" here, but again I'm not sure. It's not great, but at 5:36, the writing sounded cohesive enough and finished it well.

As I've said numerous times (and HoboKa might complain about douchey criticism against him a la SnappleMan), I still feel he just doesn't have an ear for writing his own original music. 1:27-2:45, a section that sounded more like original writing was meandering and not very musical. But 5:00-6:17, while also a bit meandering, didn't have any huge sour notes or glaringly bad structure like I've heard in some long ago subs, so there's hope on that level yet.

When he sticks close to the source tune's original structure and then tries to put his own sound and some expansive writing to it, he's more likely to hit something pleasing to listen to as far as the notes.

Suggestions:

1. Create a real transition leading into 1:27's section if you're going to keep it.

2. Make the 1:27-2:45 section more melodious or figure out a way to trim it, or cut it entirely and create a different transition.

3. Improve the realism of the sequenced guitar at 3:00.

4. Improve the realism of the sequenced piano at 5:00.

Otherwise though, this was close for me and has a lot a positives, where just a bit more tightening up will get this over the line, IMO. I could see this getting encouragement and/or YESes. That said, great start either way.

NO (resubmit)

The opening that slowly faded into Ruined World was pretty great, love what you did there.

I agree with Larry somewhat on the 1:27 section; it feels like it's lacking direction, but I don't think it's as bad as Larry is making it out to be. On the other side, though, I don't know if the 1:27 section is really adding to the mix in a positive or negative way here. The transition into it is pretty rough for sure, and should be reworked.

After that we're into the Chrono Cross track, after another somewhat awkward transition. Overall I think this section is good, but a couple things I'd look into changing is the super hard hitting notes that feel beyond what is needed. Toning them down a little will still get across that powerful feeling you're going for without having things sounding forced like they do right now.

In terms of the piano section I'm mostly agreeing with Larry. I think there's a bit of a rigidity that can be smoothed out here, and I'd also look into making the tempo change a bit smoother as well, as it feels a bit sudden.

Overall I'm hearing a lot of improvement in you, and I think you're very much on the right track here. Definitely work on the transitions and production issues, and consider reworking that 1:27 section.

NO (resubmit)

Not much to add to what the other judges have said besides some of the flute notes in the middle ending up on weird pitches and bends that sounds like they aren't quite getting there. There were some really nice moments in this mix, flashes of brilliance, but the transitions and other parts overall brought the mix down. I think a resub and tuning would do this well, keep at it. :-)

No, please resubmit