Email sub file Super_Hang-On_Rival_Racer_OC_ReMix.mp3

# Contact Info

* Remixer Name = tk

* Real Names = Darryl Kearvell, David Todd

* Forum User ID = 31501

# ReMix Info

* Original Game Name = Super Hang-On

* Original Song from the Game = Winning Run

* Link to the Original = http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/sega/genesis/SuperHangon_Genesis4.mid

We don't accept anything with this high of a bitrate:

Submission Instructions & Standards[/url'>]Bitrate should be as low as possible to achieve the desired sound quality, within reason. We recommend and use the free MP3 encoder LAME. If it's a really short song, feel free to bump up the bitrate a bit, but do not exceed 192Kbps . . . if it's a realllly long song, and won't fit under 6MB, please consider cutting a shorter, alternate version. It's a bandwidth thang ^^

http://www.zophar.net/gym/hang-on.rar - 02 "Winning Run"

The original has such basic sounds, but it's a really pimp track; catchy stuff. I was only a fan of "Outride a Crisis" before, so this was a good find. Opened with some basic synths. :15 brought in some stuff, but the beats are really robotic and sparse. The lead is breathy but needs to cut through more. A minute in, and the texture is really lacking, even with the new kicks and beats at :59. Too many sounds in play going in no particular direction on account of everything being at similar volume levels. Melody and counterpoint need to be positioned more in the front, and not get obscured by the beatwork and other sounds, so work on adjusting the sound balance.

Decent string-focused break at 1:57 before brining in the piano, though the drums were ultra-mechanical and flimsy. More decent ideas at 2:27 for an almost easy listening feel aside from the beats, though the key change at 2:43 was abrupt and awkward. Nonetheless, an alright job trying to change the feel of the track over time and have it develop, but the concepts were very disjointed, the sounds were thin/basic for the most part, and, though the rearrangement here was apparent, the mix never quite gelled melodically.

Harmony mentioned to me that he was giving you guys some pointers, so keep listening to him, and continue to make use of the ReMixing & Works boards from improvement and fan feedback, respectively.

NO

• 3 weeks later...

From the beginning this is sounding underthought and oversimplified.

:34 OUCH note in the strings, repeated a few bars later.

the turnaround starting around 1:00 is pretty cool, the song becomes more dynamic at this point.

The drums are consistently quite...out of place, in my opinion.

The composition and dynamics of the song get consistently better as the song progresses. It actually has me interested, although the ending is quite weak.

I'd say the first thing to do with this is seriously rethink the drums. they are akward and too busy most of the time. The second thing is to choose slightly more interesting or contrasting instruments. what you are using all has lots of verb, and a relatively simple sound. mix it up.

but the composition is quite good at this point. good job.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

starts off with a decent pad and fun bass, we get some 909 kicks and claps which are of limited interest.

things build with the introduction of the melody and finally we're in the groove at the 1 minute mark.

so far so good but then things just build incrementally to a break with piano..

when we build from this section it gets more interesting and continues to do so until an unexpected ending.

hmm.

nothing particularly bad here, everything is just particularly underwhelming.

the arrangement doesn't captivate me, the breaks and builds are pretty tame.

the overall sound borders between bland and stylistically permissable.

so, make the arrangement more interesting or make the sounds less bland.. or better yet, do both.

no

nothing particularly bad here, everything is just particularly underwhelming.

the arrangement doesn't captivate me, the breaks and builds are pretty tame.

the overall sound borders between bland and stylistically permissable.

so, make the arrangement more interesting or make the sounds less bland.. or better yet, do both.

no

I concur. I'd like to hear more fx processing here too. Everything just sounds bland. The production is vanilla. The lead is painfully boring. I'd spice that up with more delay or some modulation fx at least.

I'd like some eq work done, for example the string pads sound very mushy. There's no crispness. For music of this nature, I think there needs to be less mud, less reverb, more upfrontness. The lead should be a bit more upfront too.

This is a pretty fun listen though. Keep working at it. Super HangOn is great mixing material, and I would like to see this pass the site. I hope you consider reworking and resubmitting this. NO