GOT! New laptop recommendation ($500 max, Windows)

Liontamer

(Not interested in a desktop or Mac, no hate, just noting personal pref. Hoping to buy something in the next day or two.)

Kyle pointed me in the direction of http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/551347/Toshiba-Satellite-L755D-S5163-Laptop-Computer/ with a deal that expires 7/7, though zircon mentioned not being a big fan of a past Toshiba he bought a while back.

Don't care about it being a gaming comp (clearly), just want good reliable speed for the laptop that won't degrade too badly over time. My current Gateway was great for 5 years, but the wireless network card is failing and causing recurrent BSODs, and I'm without interweb on the comp, so it's basically dead. Had a Sony VAIO way back as well that worked well.

Preferably hoping to buy from OCR's Amazon store to help the site, but a good deal's a good deal.

Here are the specs of the Toshiba with the silly ad copy. Basically wanting to know if that's the best I can snag now for $500 or if anyone's got better suggestions.

Hierarchy of needs goes RAM/memory's > processor speed > hard disk space. Thanks!

• Powerful AMD A6 quad-core accelerated processor. Offers extra power to handle today's complex software. Great for multi-tasking, too.
  • Large 6GB RAM memory lets you run your most demanding programs.
  • 500GB hard drive holds thousands of songs, photos and documents.
  • Wireless-N (802.11n) for high-performance, cable-free networking. Lets you access wireless networks to share files, surf the Web and exchange email. Fully compatible with 802.11b/g as well. Wired networking is supported, too.
  • 15.6" diagonal LED-backlit TruBrite® display. LED backlighting permits a thinner and more energy-efficient screen.
  • Plays and burns CDs and DVDs.
  • Memory card reader for fast, easy photo transfers. Transfer your digital photos, music and other files from 8 types of memory cards: Secure Digital (SD), SDHC, SDXC, miniSD, microSD, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro and MultiMediaCard (adapter may be required).
  • HDMI port lets you view videos and photos on your HDTV. (HDMI cable sold separately.)
  • Built-in webcam and microphone let you keep in touch with others via video and voice messaging. Face recognition software provides hassle-free logins, without typing passwords.
  • Integrated numeric keypad speeds data entry and calculations.
  • Provides up to 5.1 hours of battery life on a single charge.
  • Microsoft® Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit. The newest version of Windows makes everyday tasks simple.
  • Supports Energy Star® and EPEAT® Gold standards.

EDIT: More specific specs:

Item # 551347

Manufacturer # PSK32U-0FU00N

processor brand AMD

processor model A6

processor number A6-3420M

diagonal screen size 15.6 inches

memory 6 GB

hard drive capacity 500 GB

screen resolution 1366 x 768

weight 5.45 lb

optical drive DVD±RW/DVD-RAM/DVD±R Double Layer

operating system Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Service Pack 1

processor speed 1.5 GHz (base); 2.4 GHz (max)

memory speed PC3-8500

memory type DDR3 SDRAM

maximum memory capacity 8 GB

wireless connectivity 802.11b/g/n

network connectivity 10/100 Ethernet

modem no modem

webcam with microphone yes

numeric keypad yes

ports 3 USB 2.0; 1 Ethernet; 1 HDMI; 1 VGA 15-pin D-sub

memory card reader yes

video graphics AMD Radeon HD 6520G Graphics

integrated speakers yes

audio hardware MaxxAudio LE

FM tuner no

peripherals included none

warranty length 1-year limited

model name Satellite L755D-S5163

brand name Toshiba

manufacturer Toshiba

Ecolabel Energy Star; EPEAT Gold

I'm not sure what your history with HP is, but I went on the same site and searched in relation to the bolded specifications, and this seems to be a good match within your budget. I've actually had a good history with ASUS laptops though, but to find them at a good price and at those kind of specs has been a bit difficult for me even on Amazon's USA site. x_X

Either way, I hope this will work as a start.

Thanks a lot for the help, Beverly! I ended up snagging that HP since it wasn't much more expensive than the Toshiba and had some strong reviews. The onboard speakers are weaker than any laptop I've ever owned (super muddy), and for whatever reason the Enter key is hyper-sensitive, but it's a great comp. :-) Hopefully it'll last me at least 5 years!