Halflife 2 Remix

Clem

Welcome back!! Glad to see you again!

Overall I like it and it sounds passable to me.

I have only 5 complains about this mix.

1 - I can't download it for some reason

2 - Bells at the beginning sounds too "heavy" to my ears. I feel pain in my head.

3 - Transition somewhere at the end(fade-in dub) sounds kinda off to me. Could use some more instruments fading-out.

4 - Strong panning in some sections reminded me about pain i had from bells at beginning

5 - First version(Portal Storm) was amazing, just some production polishing, samples and guitar tones change could made it one of the best OC Remixes ever.

Once again, glad you still here!

p.s. #5 comes also from all of my friends

Hey, mak! It's great to hear from you again. I actually like Portal Storm a lot as well, and I plan on touching it up and submitting it pretty soon. I just like the source so much that I wanted to take in another direction.

I'll see what I can do about your criticisms before I sub this version.

Oh, voice clips. :(

Really atmospheric stuff here, great work creating the mood.

Transition out of the strings was freakishly cool, but really broke the flow of the track. The part that follows is too different and makes it feel random. Dunno what exactly to do with that part to make it work better, but whatever you do, don't destroy it.

Besides that, the arrangement flows well. Sources are there, mood is there, the thing moves well, the mixing works well... I'm guessing this would pass, but I can't promise anything.

• 2 weeks later...

MOD REVIEW

Ooo, very moody. I like the style choice you've got, here. Source is there and nicely reinterpreted, so no conflict, there.

That transition at 0:21... not sure if I'm comfortable with it, myself. It just comes out of the blue, and doesn't connect to the rest of the piece too well. I hear a few motions later that are similar, but are more subtle and soft - perhaps decreasing the intensity of it would help it meld better with the rest of the track.

I hear the vibes at 0:22 crackling a little bit more than they should be. I know you're clipping them on purpose for effect, but overall it doesn't quite sound like it's purposeful. It's an odd suggestion, but I think it'd be beneficial to either make it clip more overall (Mmm, hard limiting), or clean up the clashing frequencies in the vibes so it's clean save for the louder, obviously purposeful clipping. Having the vibes sit somewhere in between ruins the effect when it's intentional, so either go all out or clean it up to maximize the effect when it's there.

2:33 was awesome. Excellent work with that transition.

The arrangement is a little bit on the eclectic side, but it works alright. For future tracks you could play around with using older ideas from your own track to increase the cohesion - it'll make it easier for the listener to follow. Don't worry about it here, but it's something to think about for the future.

Really, just that transition in the beginning and the vibes rub me the wrong way. You could probably send it in as is and get a pass on the panel, though. If you have time to spit shine it a little, those would be the two things to look at. Nice work - it sounds a little like Children of the Monkey Machine, which is a difficult style to pull off convincingly. The site needs more music like this, so I hope to see it on the front page sometime. :grin:

Hey man, thanks for listening. I agree with you on the vibes. I could have worked those in better. I would definitely touch that up, but I already submitted the track. Sorry to take your time like that, I just wanted to post the subbed version on here for anyone who was following. I should have thought to switch the thread tag back to finished.

Ah well, don't worry about it. I'll change that title for you, though. :<

When you get word on your track's status you can always message one of the judges and send him/her a copy of the revised version - as long as the revision is objectively for the better and doesn't make any significant changes to the overall track they'd be happy to incorporate the changes before releasing the track (touching up the production on the vibes isn't a big change). They're pretty understanding people; as long as remixers don't make it a habit to do so I think they'll be alright with it.

I think you're in the clear, regardless, so best of luck on the panel.