*NO* Chrono Cross 'Fossil Fauna'

djpretzel

Contact Info:

-Remixer name: Panacea

-Email address: erde_kaiser@yahoo.com

-Forum name: Panacea (note: userid number unknown))

Remix Info:

-Game remixed: Chrono Cross

-Original Song's Name: Shadow's End Forest

-ReMix Title: Fossil Fauna

About this song:

I guess you could say that this is my first "official" remix. Since it is my first, choosing a song from Chrono Cross was really a no-brainer. As far as video game soundtracks go, Chrono Cross ranks #1 on my list. I chose to remix Shadow's End Forest because I really enjoy the song, and I think it could use a bit of elaboration (it's fairly simplistic, afterall). I did all the arranging on my Yamaha keybaord, where I recorded 9 tracks. 7 of those tracks made it too the final version (absent from the final mix are midi-sounding percussion and choir). After recording them to the computer I added some live tracks. A little bit of guitar, tin whistle, and auto-harp were added. I even used a guitar pitch tuner for a very nice harmonica-esque sound, ha ha. I'd say the percusion was the most entertaining, though. Seeing as I have no percussion instruments myself, and I am not a big fan of drum loops, I decided to use a few things from around the house. A bottle of pills, the chain from a pair of pants, and the box from "The Sims" game had to make do. Hope you enjoy :)

Source: http://www.zophar.net/psf/Chrono_Cross_psf.rar - 114 Shadow Forest

This is your first official remix, eh? It's pretty good, creative work. It starts out with some rather creative ideas. The choir font sounds kind of basic, the harmonica that comes in sounds neat, the piano is a little too loud, and the Koto (I'm assuming that's a koto) playing in the background gives the mix a nice eastern sound.

From 0:30 we head into some very basic work though, the piano sounds dry and fake. And no matter how hard you try to make it, a bottle of pills just generally won't make good percussion by itself, and this is no exception. Playing the Sims box like a bongo drum was a cool idea, but it doesn't lend itself to become a geuine percussion beat for the piece, but rather an annoyance. The guitar that comes in is dry too, and the music box is too loud. The flutes somehow manage to be even louder than the piano and we get clipping at 1:40 as a result.

The dry plucking after that is nice, but once again it's just too dry to sound realistic. The harmonica is a really nice touch too. The mix just cuts off at the end as well.

Overall, this mix is suffering from some poor production quality and a lack of complex arrangement. The ideas in it are interesting in themselves, and the harmonica is a nice touch. I'd recommend going back and working on the arrangement of the mix. Get yourself some proper percussion to replace the sims box and bottle of pills, and shape a proper basis to the mix, then work what you have over it in a more pleasing manner, adjust the volumes and work on making the instruments sound less dry and fake.

Otherwise, I'm pretty pleased with this as a first mix, it shows creativity, which is always a breath of fresh air in an otherwise stale room. Keep up the work.

NO

First off, I love the original, so anything is gonna be hard pressed to top it. Track starts at :03 rather than :00. Has some harmonica-style stuffs going on, along with some iffy choir vox and some percussion and music box instrumentation that's way too loud and bright compared to the other sounds. The piano at :30 has wonky timing; sounds really artificial, sparse, and shizzy. Some faux acoustic guitar came in around :48, but doesn't sound very realistically handled.

Just a straight up weird change of the sounds at 1:07, along with a music box solo at 1:18, which I can appreciate, but ultimately sounds poorly done. The texture is poor the whole way through; very sparse and the timing is crud. Hand drums are too loud. No sense of sound balance.

Piano at 1:30 is a little bit better, but whatever woodwind was used at 1:31 was awfully flat, then it had a cringingly awful resolution from 1:42-1:45. Sorry, I had to actually take a break right there, it was like a musical car wreck.

Decent idea for the last section. I liked the rustling SFX at 1:54. We need more people trying stuff like that. Nonetheless, everything here just sounds off. Hell, I like how it sounds like you're using a real harmonica, but you're no good at using it on the performance level, frankly. Then the track just cuts off abruptly at 2:21.

Not trying to slam you as an artist; TO had some good points with how the approach in and of itself was creative, as you're trying some good ideas. Hopefully you'll stay motivated enough to continue. But this was just poorly put together. Get WAY better at multitracking.

No sense of rhythm or timing, coupled with an underdeveloped idea is an easy NO. ReMixing/Works to improve your game and get more feedback.

• 2 weeks later...

very interesting.

live harp sticks out, but not in a bad way. The intro is actually very sweet. I love it up to :30, when it gets way too bare. the piano is too dry, the shaker thing is too dry, and the performance sounds sloppy. This is a consistent problem. Everything is dry.

clippage at 1:45.

I really like the live mishmash instrumentation you have here. Tighten up the performance, mix it a little more smoothly, and fill out the sound in some places.

NO

There's nothing more to add here really, that the other judges did not cover.

Here we go with a lightning round.

My main issues:

- timing and rhythm, everything just sounds off

- some clipping

- too dry - needs some more reverb to soften and blend elements more cohesively

Very impressive and interesting first submission though, but its just got too many issues in great degrees to pass. I'm looking forward to hearing more from you though.

NO