Synth Presets "Borrowing" From Soundtracks

Recently, I purchased Sylenth.

I was messing around with some of the presets, changing them to suit my needs when I stumbled across this one arpeggiator preset called "New Order". When I played it, I was overwhelmed with a feeling that I heard this exact phrase before and blood began to spray from the ceiling.

That's when I figured out it is exactly the same as the

If you match the key and tempo, you can sync the sylenth preset up to that song...

Could a company not be sued for such a thing?

Recently, I purchased Sylenth.

I was messing around with some of the presets, changing them to suit my needs when I stumbled across this one arpeggiator preset called "New Order". When I played it, I was overwhelmed with a feeling that I heard this exact phrase before and blood began to spray from the ceiling.

That's when I figured out it is exactly the same as the

If you match the key and tempo, you can sync the sylenth preset up to that song...

Usually presets (and samples really) are royalty free. Don't quote me on that. I think a company cannot own a sound,time, nor a synth they did not make in the first place, but they 'can' sue you on the composition(obviously).

grats on getting sylenth1, my favorite synth and low cpu! I just made this with it.

http://soundcloud.com/aires/air3s-codge-dharger

Would I be sued for including a trumpet in my soundtrack? Trumpets are pretty popular...

Being snappy aside, it's all in the Terms and Conditions when you install the software. Normally I never read that stuff, but for music stuff, I actually do to find out answers to questions like where am I allowed to use this sound?

If they give me complete control to just do my own thing commercially then I would say any "homage presets" like the one you found were properly cleared.

Would I be sued for including a trumpet in my soundtrack? Trumpets are pretty popular...

People keep using examples like this, but they're forgetting the preset I speak of copies a musical phrase. It's literally as if it was lifted directly from the song "Confusion" and you can just pitch shift it to whatever you want.

It sounds like it's an homage preset, in which case I wouldn't use it, if I were you, but I would USE it to understand how it worked, how it was made, and tweak it until it was my own.

Indeed, I have been changing the settings and just randomizing the arpeggiator.