*NO* Doom 2 'Space Mayhem Port'

djpretzel

Email sub file Doom_2_SpaceMayhemPort_OC_ReMix.mp3

Hi, my name is Nicola Capecci from Italy.

My nickname is: Neurological, and I'm a new remixer

I repropose the first track of doom 2 Hell on Earth, the Space Port (Map01)

I replayed all instruments from the guitar to the bass, only the drum is synth with Sample Tank 2 the entire track is recorded with Cubase SX 2.0 e sample tank for the synth

The other instruments are:

-ESP LTD Guitar with EMG pickup humbucker and sharvel bridge -Ibanez Bass with symour duncan pickup singlecoil -Edirol PCR 50 midi controller

thats all, bye^^

Source: http://www.doomworld.com/music/d_runnin.mid - Map01 Running From Evil

The guitar is this is pretty darn grungey. The drums are all right, though they sound a little flat, and the snare stays the same all the way through the piece. The kickdrum needs to be filtered to get rid of the clicking sound it has, needs to be more punchy in the bass. The lead guitar you have coming in after 2:00 could afford to be much louder to be able to be heard more clearly over the grunge guitar.

The arrangement is pretty good compared to the original. We have the grunge guitar following the chord changes of the original for the first minute or so and the lead guitar doing some creative reinterpretations of the lead in the original when it comes in after 2:00. The only thing I'd really like to see is some change ups in the drums, it's pretty much the same pattern through the entire piece. The cymbals, rides and hats in this need to be brought out so they sound a lot crashier and louder. It just sounds like the drums are suffering from overcompression.

The length of the mix is relatively short, but it doesn't need to be very long since what you have hear is pretty creative in itself. I'd recommend going back and giving those drums a revamp so they sound a bit better, and bringing out some of that lead guitar so it's more audible. Good stuff here.

NO (Please Resubmit.)

Yeah, TO nailed some good issues here. The lead guitar is a little too distant. It could be more prominent, yet still have the airy/distant quality it has. Wouldn't mind some comments on that from Vigilante.

The snare is too loud and the performance on it is flat, plus the cymbals are way too quiet and don't contribute to the picture. The percussion patterns don't vary much and get stale after a while. That needs to be addressed.

Unfortunately a case where production issues indeed kill an otherwise well-constructed and promising effort. Hope you address the sound balance and get things sounding stronger. Right now, some very flat sounds are severely limiting the potential here.

NO (refine/resubmit)

• 2 weeks later...

those drums are as thin as i am. and i weight barely enough to donate blood.

i like the tone and playing of the guitars

the arrangement itself is pretty decent too, it develops the theme nicely.

the overall sound is lacking.

everything needs to just be beefed up a bit before i can pass it

drums need more oomph, bass needs more presence,

chugga chugga guitars are fine

the lead needs to be brought out more, boost those highs.

not bad, though!

no

Production issues killed this one.

Everything has a lofi and thin sound going on. It sounds like you put some strange reverb/and odd EQ filters on this one. There's no body throughout. The kicks have no power, the lead is lofi, thin and distant.

This needs to go back to the mixing and mastering drawing board. Cool conceptual ideas though, I was digging the ideas presented here. But really this has quite a bit of work to do to clean things up before one can consider this. Sweet ending parts though.

But, NO.