*NO* Over Zenith 'Overcoming the Sadness'

djpretzel

OZ Original Soundtrack - 201 "Overcoming Sadness ~Beginning the Journey~"

Bleh. First off, this is way too conservative. There is near-0 meaningful interpretation of the material here, IMO. While it didn't strike me quite as a rip, the original is basically left as is and the instruments are more defaulty electronic-sounding. If it's NO Override, someone else can get rid of it.

Submission Instructions & Standards[/url'>]In terms of arrangement - how close or distant ReMixes should be to the original - the general rule is that the ReMix should be YOURS. We don't just mean that you were involved in its creation, but that it is different enough from the original so as to readily illustrate the contributions, modifications, and enhancements you have made. In other words, don't just take the original and drop a few drum loops on top. Also, don't simply take a MIDI file and assign new instruments to the parts, or add reverb, and expect that to pass as 'yours'. When we say 'ReMix', we actually mean something closer to 're-arrangement', if that helps clarify. If you listen to most of the pieces on the site and compare them to the originals, you should get an idea of what a ReMix is.

Not to mention this is a downgrade in sound quality and design compared to the original as soon as things get going at :08. There was some terrible, flat brass in the background from 1:05-1:18 that was all wrong notes and didn't complement the melody correctly. The groove continued ad nauseum throughout the track, never providing any contrast/dynamics to keep things interesting.

That's not to shit on this entirely. Despite the cluttered sound and occasionally abrasive instrumentation, this already sounds better than most submissions we get, so you obviously have some degree of skill at this. Hang at the ReMixing forum here to learn how to work with your sounds better and further develop those skills, and get fan feedback for future submissions at the Works forum. The is predominantly a rearrangement site, so go for much more interpretation please.

NO

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Before I close this out, I want to emphasise what Larry said about this not being an entirely bad mix. I actually enjoyed it despite how close it is to the original. The sound quality is bars above what we normally hear, and in spite of how you got there, you do have an enjoyable sounding mix here. Unfortunately it's just against our site guidelines.

NO