*NO* Sonic & Knuckles 'Lost in the Desert'

djpretzel

http://www.zophar.net/gym/SK+SONIC3.RAR - 20 "Sandopolis Zone 1"

This was decent. The oboe for the intro sounded nice. Belltone-stuff, and later the strings, on melody was too quiet and needs to be more center stage. Faux-electric guitar at 1:22 is too fakey sounding to work well. Right now, the soundfield is fairly sparse/empty. Peeling back the layers of this tracks, there's ultimately not much happening. Nonetheless, the arrangement is a fairly solid cover-style piece.

Too bad about this one. The samples/sounds are generally good, but the sound balance isn't where it should be and the timing is incredibly mechanical. It's like the whole track is rigid and devoid of emotion, ruining it's potential.

The sounds are good, and you got the genre thing going, but even der ubersamples aren't gonna automatically win the day if they don't sound performed in a realistic manner. Fill the soundfield out more and tackle the nuances please.

NO (resubmit)

Larry pretty much hit the nail on the head here. This sounds more like a quickly made RA demo than anything.

There's really not much going on in here beyond the lead and percussion. Things still sounded relatively thin and empty. The arrangement is straightforward and underdeveloped. On top of that everything sounded very mechanical, especially noticeable with the perfectly timed hand percussion. It came off as static.

I did like the use of the gamelan/chromatic perc stuff and the ending was really nice, but at this point, it's not anywhere near what we'd expect. In my view, this needs a lot more work, personal touches. It sounds like you did this quickly and just submitted it. I prefer your more thought out originals.

NO

This started off sounding pretty cool. The percussion sounds spot on nice. The strumming fits in well. Most of the instruments sound like they're a pretty good quality, except for the guitar and sax.

You have a nice break section after 2:00 with some pretty atmospheric "desert" sounds and woodwind. It builds back up nicely after 2:30 into some powerful drum areas.

The problem with this is that it sounds a bit too empty in the melody section. The instruments you have playing the melody (Strings, Oboe) work well, but they need something else to come out and grab the attention of the listener. It sounds like you have a great basis for the mix, it just needs more work to be more pleasing to listen to.

NO

Well.. I have to agree that this mix seems to try to carry itself based on the samples. The sequencing isn't BAD by any means, but it lacks expressiveness and emotion. That said, the samples themselves are VERY good.. Stormdrum, RA, etc. But you can't carry a song based on those. Dunno what that electric guitar is (VSL Overdrive? Hans Zimmer?) but it doesn't seem to mesh well with everything else.

The arrangement itself is a bit on the repetitive side, constantly repeating that one riff. Considering it's only 3:00, I think more could have been done with the theme. At around 2:00 things get a little more interesting, but again, samples are carrying it. I'm trying to imagine this with free sounds and I don't think it would work out well. If you expand the arrangement, refine the structure, and spend a little more time with the sequencing of your instruments I think this could pass.

NO