*NO* Final Fight & Guilty Gear XX #Reload 'Venom In Her Veins' *RESUB*

DragonAvenger

Original Decision

Remixer Names: Mak & AngelCityOutlaw

Forum IDs: AngelCityOutlaw: 45057

Mak: 32137

"Real" Names: Mak Eightman & Criss Stratos

Games Remixed: Final Fight & Guilty Gear XX #Reload (Korean OST)

Songs Remixed: Industrial Area & Red Crossroads

Link to Remix: http://soundcloud.com/angelcityoutlaw/mak-eightman-criss-stratos

Sources: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Vkdj4wD5aw

So, back in about November 2011 or so, I had made this rock mix of a Final Fight tune. It got rejected, but I teamed up with the mighty Mak Eightman recently. I had lost the original, mixed .wav of the song, but I still had the individual files kickin' around. Since I wanted this to be a collab from the get-go, I sent the files to Mak so that he may mix them in his own way. Well, it turned out that something went totally screwy with my computer when I exported these files and the rhythm guitars were thrown just horrifically out of time. So, I told Mak that when I was able to record guitars again, I would re-record all the parts and tweak the arrangement more. With that, we went our separate ways. However....little did I know that Mak was cooking up a recipe of sheer badass behind the scenes.

Waking up at noon after a long night of dealing with drunks and fights at work, I open my email to see this from Mak

"Hey! Now it's yours. Do whatever you want with this track. Just don't forget to warn me, so I know what can I do with it)"

Followed by a link to the most awesome mix of the arrangement I could've imagined. Here we have him re-playing most all of the guitars and still keeping my original leads and solos intact plus tons of his own great leads. Lots of improvisations and variations on the main theme this time around! The Guilty Gear bridge section still rocks hard!

Mak also wishes to say:

"Thanks man. I'll fix some issues to make it more submit-like and you'll submit it) I already did one last week.

Don't forget, it's YOUR arrangement!! I just fixed it a bit. Plus I've no idea what was the source lol."

and

"I was upset when judges NO'ed this track, cause Chris made amazing work, so here i am. Fixed some things. Hope you like it. Best of all!"

Regardless of whether or not this passes, please keep the link up! I'm quite proud of the track and I hope Mak is too; he should be. Many thanks to him and everyone who has listened to and will listen to this song!

Just noting I've only heard this version.

The percussion writing was underwhelming and, while not lazily written, didn't really lend enough energy to the piece, IMO, undermining the dynamics of the arrangement. There's just a blandness to it that's coming through.

That said, the overall energy in this rock conversion was pretty solid. The volume was somewhat too loud, but tolerable. The mixing was also on the weak side, and the encouding sounded like it might as well be 128kbps quality because the high frequencies seemed pretty muted.

If the percussion were more fitting, or the mixing more polished, I could get behind this as over the line, but I'm not quite there yet. It truly does rock, so I'd like to see this pass, but it's missing a little something to put the level of polish over the top.

Great start so far, guys. If it doesn't make it, this is close, IMO.

NO (resubmit)

I agree with Larry that this is really close but not quite making it. I think the top end is being hurt by the track being pushed so hard through the compressor. The rhythm tone is nice and beefy, but the drums are falling a little flat, and I think the lead sound is a little over-treated.

I think the drums and over-compression are the main issues here. the drums need to crack, and bringing things back will help that. Make some adjustments and then PM me and I can help to make sure this gets through. :-)

No, please resubmit