Mixer Name: Joker

Email: Davejkr@prodigy.netNOSPAM

userid: 16059 (I think)

Song Title: The Corporate Office

ReMix link:

Game: Resident Evil 2

Orig Song: Secure Place

Comments:

Hiya. I made this mix because I've always liked the sanctuary theme in RE2. So I thought it would sound nice in a really dark ambientish style. The drums used to be moving around the sound spectrum but I decided to make them stationary. I also liked the more pronounced dry snare I had, so I kept it that way for no reason other than I liked it. The piano is sequenced, but I wanted it to sound realistic so I tweaked velocities as well as made some compositional changes, slight as they are. The rain at the beginning was my mom idea, & I think it worked out well. It's funny that this remix was inspired by "Room of Angel" from Silent Hill 4, but eh, what are you gonna do. Even if this doesn't pass, thanks for giving it a listen.

Later lates,

David

Source: http://www.zophar.net/psf/Biohazard2.rar 11 - Secure Place

The percussion and drumwork in this mix is really basic. You need to work on making that sound a lot better, really.

The actual atmosphere in the mix is pretty nice. But the mix does remain fairly basic all the way through. The piano has a nice sound to it, but it sound kind of.. tinny. Like it's been EQ'ed so the mids are too strong. It's all right as a backing, but since the whole mix is pretty much based around this piano, it just sounds a bit too fake, could be more prominent to give the mix a more powerfully realistic sound.

But to be honest, I don't think this mix does anything beyond what the original offers. It's the same style with the same sound, and the piano doesn't offer a great deal of creative reinterpretation. It just sounds like an extention of the source.

NO

Covered this in May for VG Frequency, so I'm actually surprised we got it now:

Liontamer]Joker - Resident Evil 2 "The Corporate Office" [VGMix2 #4145]

Tackling RE2's "Safe Place", David offers this lo-fi style piece that retains the spooky atmosphere of the original while adding more depth to the instrumentation. The production sounds a bit rough, which may have been purposeful in creating a haunting feel, but tends to only mud the track. The instrumentation as well is fairly minimalist, but it works well for this type of style where the mood is the focus. The drums felt a bit out of place, but the strings, wind SFX, and piano were right at home here. It could use a great deal more sharpness, but it's certainly one to check if you're a Res Evil fan. Joker's one to pay attention to in the future as his skills continue to develop.

My thoughts are pretty much the same giving this a full review. The rain SFX was tastefully used. The strings at :39 were really synthetic sounding, but worked fairly well in the texture. Around 1:08 when the volume picks up a bit, the track starts feeling a little buzzy and a bit too lo-fi. The strings brought in at 1:12 were panned too distinctly to one side, plus they didn't sound realistic in their performance.

Drums at 1:27 were really low quality. I think keeping it so dry is a mistake given the texture the rest of the instrumentation seems to be going for, but if it's kept like that, I'd at least pull the volume back a bit so it doesn't sound pasted on top and out of place like it does now.

I'm a big fan of the original, "Secure Place." I think more credit should be given for the additive way in which this theme was treated, though the piano sounding so similar was a slight hit. Nonetheless, there a lot of new writing here, so while fairly straightforward, I don't think this was too conservative at all, and compares pretty favorably to the original.

I'd personally suggest sharpening up the sound a little bit while keeping the gloomy feel, scrapping the percussion, and refining the strings and piano (though they sound better than most people's attempts with it). Maybe add some more subtle instrumentation to replace the role of the percussion. Good stuff in place so far, David; this was your best submission yet.

NO (resubmit)

• 3 weeks later...

Dry drums sound horribly out of place in this piece. The rest of the texture has an indistincy, reverberated sound; the drums stick out like a sore thumb.

TO's right about the piano; way too tinny. Needs some lows, I think.

Try a little less reverb to give the piece some more definition, and balance your strings on both sides of the stereo field; there's a left-ear bias right now.

Rain samples are cool, but the thunder is too loud; claps of thunder don't work in a smoother texture like this. They're jarring. You want lower rumbles.

NO