*NO* Journey 'Born for SNES'

DragonAvenger

Hello!

Today I'd like to submit a remix from ThatGameCompany's "Journey" for PS3. It is a remix of the end credits theme, "I Was Born For This" composed by Austin Wintory.

I've hosted it on my site:

YouTube with note, as given to Mr. Wintory:

The original song:

Notes:

I've been a fan of OCR for 10 years, and always wanted to join the ranks. I hope this qualifies, although I understand the samples I used might bend/break the rules. It is made entirely of samples from SNES games. I did all I could to stretch every last ounce of expression out of the old Square samples, and mix/master a very clean track.

Please note that quite a few harmonies and bridges and such, were improvised, not to mention countless subtle changes everywhere else. I do not know if this will be apparent, but I sure hope so! Everything was pieced together by ear, so I had to take liberties and sprinkle in my own style.

Thank you very much for checking this out, even if you cannot accept it. I really appreciate it. :)

-William Kage

(this is my stage name, please credit me as such if my remix is accepted - thanks!)

• 2 months later...

As far as the SNES instrumentation being outside the scope of the site, that's more for Dave to decide, though there are certainly more production options available compared to the 2A03.

I don't have any inherent problem with going this route, though I'd say for this piece, if you assumed it would be a pass on the arrangement, I'd argue the sound quality (in this case, realism) of the instruments would need to be improved. But we take everything on a case-by-case basis.

Getting to the substance though, I love the arrangement here in the SPC700 style of the SNES, and I don't mean to dismiss any of the modifications. But at it's core, it holds pretty fast to the original's structure, tempo and mood, as a demake-style cover, with the aim being to replicate the original fairly faithfully and adapt to this instrument set.

Whether of not the instrument set was strictly from the SNES ends up being a moot point, since the arrangement is too conservative overall for our standards here. That doesn't diminish from how cool this arrangement is, William, but it does fall outside the scope of what we're looking for on account of being too straightforward of a cover.

NO

Going to have to go with Larry on this one. It's a super fun arrangement to bring this to SNES sounds like you did, but it's not really what we're looking for here. I would love to hear something that mixes between your original works and what you've done here, but otherwise it's great fun hearing all your works in general.

NO