OCR02594 - *YES* Final Fantasy 'Sentient Machines'

Liontamer

I keep forgetting to sub this, probably because it would involve a lot of source mapping and I ain't in the mood.. so I got help from Willrock for this source map.

Game: Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, ???

source: The Floating Castle, Corridors of Time, possibly more unknown sources

Floating Castle:

Floating Castle (NES):

Corridors of Time:

Title: Sentient Machines

Remixers: mithius, Brandon Strader

Originally wanted this to be in the flood for FF1. If it passes please use the provided artist/director comments/ etc that was provided with the album for it. :)

Also please use the wav/mp3 for the album to judge. :-)

I'm sure you all have it and listen to the album daily so no point to attach a vbr1~ ;)

Source map:

0:00-1:02 - straight source

1:17-1:48 - A section source

2:14-2:55 - B section source

From 2:55 to 4:50 i'm getting no source usuage... can anyone confirm that for sure? Seems a heck of a long time to have original material, I might have missed something.

4:50-5:12 - A section source I think, its hard to pin it down exactly.

5:19-5:39 - B section background source (brandon pointed it out to me)

5:57-6:47 - B Section Background Source

6:47-7:21 - A section source variation (according to brandon, 7:21 through to 7:42 is source as well but I think its too liberal there to count) (Brandon's note: The lead shifts but the backing is entirely the same, you can hear notes from the source in the lead)

7:42-7:54 - A section source variation

8:16-9:02 Corridors of Time (Zeal Theme) source (which brandon didn't know was there apparently)

9:02-9:57 Straight source again

WillRock: The inclusion of Zeal makes me wonder if mithius added other sources not mentioned in the first post... if he did, I'm not a final fantasy music manic, my knowledge is limited there.

Brandon: There may even be additional source from Floating Castle that remains undetected

I originally vetted this for the album, and by my count, the source usage came out to almost exactly 50.00%, maybe something crazy like 50.01%. :lol: I heard the Chrono Trigger usage as being a bit too liberal for me to count, and I may have to re-do my breakdown if I didn't save it. I may come back to it since there's an added artist breakdown here that I didn't have before the album came out, but at the end of the day, I already vetted it during album evaluation and I was fine with the level of source usage.

I thought this was an excellent arrangement by mithius with good additions by Brandon, and I loved the way the piece constantly morphed and evolved. The opening acoustic guitar work sounded great, I thought the transitions were strong, and the original writing pieced together with this like a glove. At 10 minutes long, some will say it's too long or meanders, but to me there were no meaningful issue with length or development and it's not a criticism I take seriously.

Exemplary work here, and a personal favorite from the album.

YES

• 3 months later...

Yeah, Larry's got this mostly right. I'd say that while the arrangement does a little long and gets a tad meandering, there's a lot of really good arrangement going on. Not a super fan of the vocals, they felt kind of awkward, but I don't think they pull away from the arrangement much as it is a personal choice.

Nice work.

YES

Yeah I think the arrangement does meander a bit, but for a song with so many sections and styles, it's quite cohesive. There's some brilliant playing and writing throughout, and the creepy, off-kilter vibe was a nice throughline to pull it all together. Even thought the vocals were effective. Cool stuff guys!

Brandon, since you've asked what kind of prog can pass, here another's example. :)

YES

I remember evaluating this for the FF1 album, and this was one of my favorite tracks at the time. Great combination of riffs and different sounds that ends up being quite cohesive considering how long the arrangement goes for. The acoustic breakdowns are great.

When I saw the runtime for this track with an artist I was largely unfamiliar with taking the reigns, I wasn't sure what to expect. However, this was one of the most pleasant surprises off of Random Encounter and even with a more critical listen as a judge, I'm not finding anything even remotely suspect about this.

I'm VERY impressed guys :-) You're on my radar now, Mithius!

YES