*NO* Street Fighter 2 'Street Fighter's 5th: Guile vs. Beethoven'

Liontamer

Your ReMixer name: Walt Ribeiro

Your real name: Walt Ribeiro

Your email address: walt@fororchestra.com

Your website: http://fororchestra.com

Your userid (number, not name) on our forums, found by viewing your forum profile: http://ocremix.org/forums/member.php?u=49059

Name of game(s) arranged: Street Fighter

Name of arrangement: Street Fighter's 5th: Guile vs Beethoven

Name of individual song(s) arranged: Guile's Theme and Beethoven's 5th Symphony (

)

Additional information about game including composer, system, etc. (if it has not yet been added to the site): Walt Ribeiro - 15" Macbook Pro, 128 SSD, DP7, Sibelius 7

Link to the original soundtrack (if it is not one of the sound archives already available on the site)

Composers: Isao Abe, Shun Nishigaki, Yoko Shimomura http://ocremix.org/game/472/super-street-fighter-ii-turbo-arc

Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc.

http://fororchestra.com/post/23540234211/thoughts-on-guiles-sf-theme-this-friday

Thoughts On Guile’s SF Theme This Friday

I arranged two stylistic versions of Street Fighter Guile’s Theme For Orchestra: speed metal and hard rock. Both are so intense, that I couldn’t decide between the 2, and my indecisiveness almost caused me to scrap the song all together.

This blog has definitely grown over the past few months, and the pressure to raise the bar each week is making me more productive, more excited, and more cautious with every future release for you all.

Since day 1 I’ve only want the best, and the result this week is an arrangement that nearly kisses the 5 minute mark.

Remember playing Street Fighter II all week long? Chun Li, Vega, Blanka, Zangief, Ken, Ryu - it felt like it was only yesterday. And then of course there was the movie, which was so bad it was good.

This song is a shot in the arm from many of our childhoods. It’s patriotic, it’s bone-crushing…

And if you’re not careful it’ll turn you into a family man - like a sir.

EDIT (9/5): Got an arrangement breakdown from Walt - LT

For the Beethoven's 5th breakdown, I'll try my best to map it out.

Below are 7 sections:

The top line is for my Street Fighter Orchestra (SF). The timestamps refer to this audio http://bit.ly/KRs8Po

The bottom line is for Beethoven's 5th (B) and shows where I got it from. The timestamps refer to this video http://bit.ly/1a80Xz

SF 0:00 - 0:05

B 0:00 - 0:05

SF 1:08 - 1:23

B 5:54 - 6:15

SF 1:28 - 1:33

B 6:23 - 6:27

SF 1:56 - 2:00

B 0:00 - 0:05

SF 2:48 - 3:07

B 0:24 - 0:32

SF 3:08 - 4:17 = That's all just an original section / solo I wrote.

SF 4:41 - 4:44

B 0:00 - 0:05 (just as my song started, it ends)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- "Guile Stage"

- "Beethoven's 5th Symphony"

First off, have to note: http://ocremix.org/info/Submission_Standards_and_Instructions

3. Acceptable Source Material

1. Submissions can arrange music from any video, computer, or arcade game, with the following qualifications:

The music must have actually been used in the game; a bonus track off a commercial game soundtrack does not qualify.

The music must have been composed specifically for the game or first published (or recognized) as the game's soundtrack. Movie themes such as Star Wars or licensed songs from games like Gran Turismo do not qualify.

The Beethoven's 5th Symphony material seemed used sparingly from what I can tell offhand, but integrating non-VGM music is generally frowned on for here, since the focus is supposed to be on VGM arrangement, not outside music arrangement. But I wanted to formally evaluate this since it wouldn't be fair to just call this a standards violation and not comment on the substance.

I believe the Bandcamp stream only does 128kbps, so it's not a great way to hear how the mixing turned out. That said, the biggest weak link in this piece was the drums brought in around :10. They need some snap to 'em. The tone felt hollow and didn't click with the rest of orchestration at all, made worse given how busy the writing was for that part. Areas like 1:35-1:45 & 2:42-2:50 where the drums were very exposed just illustrated how that sound really didn't fit, IMO. Harping on drums is my thing on the panel, but we'll see if anyone else co-signs on how it sounded here.

The melody also felt somewhat obscured by the drums (e.g. 2:00-2:13), but that wasn't a big of a deal. There was a booming, quasi machine-gun effect with the velocities that didn't sound good.

Otherwise, I enjoyed the arrangement itself and thought it was laid out fairly well. We'd need a breakdown of the Beethoven usage to see if it was excessive (I'll come back to at least point out what I heard). That said, if there's too much of it, take it out or scale it back. Really, just reworking the drums could get this to where it needs to be, because I enjoyed the creativity and interpretation of this orchestral approach otherwise.

NO (resubmit)

• 1 month later...

When the drums are buried within the mix, it's almost a non-issue for me, but during points like the intro where the kit used is more exposed, it's definitely bothersome, and Larry hit the nail on the head about the effect that the machine-gun drumming had on the rest of the mix. Considering how bombastic and energetic the rest of the orchestral instruments were (seriously, I'm really impressed by how good the rest of the track sounds and how amazing your arrangement is), the drums bring things down a few notches :-(

That's the only critique I can really levy against you here, the rest of the track is well above what I'd expect from a newcomer and I'd like to hear this one touched up a bit, but those drums definitely bother enough to warrant a resubmission vote on this track, regardless of the Beethoven usage, which I truly don't feel like trying to wrap my head around right now :tomatoface: I'll leave that one to Larry.

Regardless, if the 5th Symphony usage is minimal enough to comply with OCR's standards on non-vgm material (and I hope it is!) I hope to see this one again if it ends up being rejected because the drums seem like they'd be a pretty easy thing to fix. Just work on your EQ and bring some of the bass frequencies out of the kickdrum and make the kit sound "punchier" overall and I think this will be a winner.

NO (resubmit!)

Even if this is a standards violation, I like the way you fused Beethoven with Street Fighter. I think Beethoven might be pushing it a bit with sections like 2:48-3:01, as cool as they are. Like Larry, I agree the weak point is the drums. They are basically Rock drums in an orchestral track, and the fusion doesn't quite work. They don't fit with the rest of the instrumentation, and they sound flimsy and weak. I actually think this track would benefit from their removal completely and just not have drums at all. Beethoven aside, I agree with the others that the drums bring this WAY down into resub territory. Seriously, I think just removing them would do the trick here, or at least replace them with an orchestral kit (and the writing to compliment it). The rest of this is solid.

This is a good submission, but based on the drums I can't pass on it i'm afraid.

NO (resub)