*NO* Street Fighter Alpha 2 & Super Street Fighter 2 'Shienkyaku Upskirt'

DragonAvenger

Remixer Name: DusK

Email: (New email for remixin' and stuff)

User ID: 24328

Game: Super Street Fighter II, Street Fighter Alpha 2

Arrangement Name: Shienkyaku Upskirt

Song Arranged: Fei Long's Theme, Sakura's Theme

Platform: Various

Composer: Isao Abe, Syun Nishigaki (SSFII), Setsuo Yamamoto, Shun Nishigaki, Tatsuro Suzuki (SFA2)

Release Year: 1993 (SSFII), 1996 (SFA2)

Source: Fei Long's Theme:

, Sakura's Theme:

Comments: This remix was my second submission for the World Warrior Remix Royale 2012. A lot of people seem to like it. Or at least I hope so, or a lot of people are gonna be complaining about it being on that remix CD on that collector's set. ;)

• 1 month later...

The opening synths were very vanilla, but we'll see where this goes. Better stuff at :40 with the switch to rock, featuring combinations of Sakura's and Fei Long's themes though it wasn't really the smoothest flow in terms of combining these themes.

The soundscape was pretty cluttered by the guitars from :54-1:08. I felt the guitar playing was a littled stilted in places, but OA didn't agree for your Shinobi 3 mix, so it may only be my opinion again. It's not horrible, but I'm not saying Sixto is the standard, but there's more of natural flow to his guitar performance, as an example.

The tone of the electrosynths for the Sakura verses was shrill and not a good lead choice, IMO (e.g. 1:21-1:36, 1:50-2:05). Small thing, but why bother having such flimsy exposed claps in the picture for a few seconds (2:18-2:25)?

2:39 strongly finished off the final minute and felt like the most cohesive section as far as the mixing and instrument textures. Things clicked much better, and even the synth lead was more understated and less glaring as far as its default-y nature. :-)

I like the concept and where this is going so far, Dustin, and it gets more right than it does wrong. That said, the so-called seesaw has to be weighted a bit more toward what works vs. what doesn't for me to pass it. It's clearly headed in the right direction, but could use some further polishing so that everything's clicking. Good luck with the rest of the vote!

NO (resubmit)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm gonna side with Larry on this... I feel like your guitar stuff here is pretty solid. The drumwork is passable, as well, but when the synths come in, things don't click nearly as well. I feel like the sound choices for nearly all of the synthetic instruments are underwhelming and don't capture the energy conveyed by the arrangement or the performances on the rock side of things.

I'm going to keep things brief because Larry already spelled out what's working and what's not, and I tend to agree with him here. The synth patches used need to have more energy and be a little bit less generic for this to pass my bar. Tons of potential here though, I love the guitar elements of the track, I don't think it would take a huge amount of effort to make this passable.

NO (resub!)

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Larry that the meshing of these two themes was not that smooth, but this flowed well enough. The ideas you present are good and I think there's a passable arrangement in here. Unfortunately, the synths are somewhat bland and the guitars are pretty dry. It's especially noticeable when the guitar lead doesn't have the backing behind it. Throw some delay or reverb on that puppy. I feel like you can probably nail this one next go-around, but sadly this version here isn't gonna do it.

NO (resubmit)