Gremlins 2 - The Office Orchestra

dummy

This was an orchestration I worked on today. It's from the old Gremlins 2 : The New Batch video game tie in. It's very Goldsmithy, though I think I added a touch of Elfman and myself.

| SoundCloud

As usual, any opinions/crits/feedback on the realism (or the mastering/mix) is welcome so that I can improve my future pieces.

The percussion feels a bit messy to me now that I listen back to it - I think it could do with the lows being cut a touch. Other than that I'm pretty happy with how it came out.

Hey, nice sounds! Your 'synthetic orchestra' makes me jealous.

- As far as the sounds go - this is amazing. Your percussion is fantastic. There are some odd bits where it feels like someone is just.. breathing heavily on a mic, right at the beginning and also once again towards the end. Intended? maybe so, but I just wasn't a fan.

- Choirs! Your choir sounds okay, but it just feels a littttle to much in the background for my liking, I feel like that is the climax of the piece, and it needs to be brought out more, but you kinda hide it in the back, in some ways it makes it feel more realistic I guess, but that whole time I felt like I was struggling to hear the choir. Super minor and personal gripe, but hey - feedback is feedback.

- From a compositional perspective, it feels like it sticks super close to the original (It's been awhile, so the theme is a little fuzzy), and while your instruments and actual soundscape is amazing, I honestly grow tired of the song after 1 or 2 listens - mainly because the song really doesn't change at all once things get established, your only major change is the choir. Maybe it was intended, but I'd love to see something new hit the song towards the mid section.

Thanks for the feedback!

The fwhoof sounds are actually just part of the video (they go with the text appearing/disappearing). The Soundcloud version won't have those. I think I should maybe make them more subtle as people do mention them a lot.

I sort of agree with the choir. Really a choir should be more in the background unless it's a choral piece, but it feels like it needs to be a little bit louder listening back. It's one of those things I find hard to balance.

I did stick very close to the original - I tend to do that. Mostly it's a time thing - I get an hour or two here and there to work on an orchestration so I tend to go the safe route to make sure it's finished in time. I really want to sit down and maybe extend this piece with something new when I have more time though.

Thanks again for taking the time to listen and give feedback - I really appreciate it.

• 2 weeks later...