*NO* Mega Man 4 & 6 'Red Chamomile' *RESUB*

OceansAndrew

Original thread: http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38282

Remixer 1 Name: Rexy (real name: Beverley Wooff)

Email:

OCRemix user ID: 7528

Remixer 2 Name: Brandon Strader

Email:

OCRemix user ID: 3123

Remix info:-

Remix title: "Red Chamomile"

Games covered: Mega Man 4 / Mega Man 6

Individual songs covered: Dr. Cossack's Fortress Stages 3/4 (MM4),

Title (MM4 - Cameo), Plant Man's Stage (MM6),

---

[08:43] <Rexy> got anything to add to the resub email?

[08:44] <Brandon> yeah, tell them they're a bunch of slippery lizards

[08:44] <Brandon> i guess you dont care about WAITING AN EXTRA MONTH!

[08:44] <Rexy> ...

---

Rexy here. I apologize for the delay on the resub, but Brandon and I

have been extremely busy since the original decision.

Thank you all for your feedback on the original WCRG version, and we

managed to take everything to heart with the re-production. The

concerns raised about the strings, piano and general mixing have been

attended to, as well as one unexpected twist of a change of piano

patch because the old one that was used kept crashing the session

files. o_O*

Everything about the arrangement still remains intact though. Now that

I think of it, because Cossack is a RUSSIAN scientist, I guess I

regret not fitting in a Tetris cameo... >_> But that can be saved for

another day.

Thanks again for your consideration, and again to Darke for hosting the WCRG!

Peace out,

-Rexy-

(This has got to be my shortest submission email ever)

• 1 month later...

Great ideas here, and an unusual instrument set. Unfortunately, with that comes the challenges of working out the mixing. Sometimes the guitars drown out the quieter instruments like the piano and flute-like lead. Though it sounds like you've tweaked the sequencing based on your email, the strings also have a choppy, unrealistic feel.

But the problems extend past the production for me. I'm not totally sold on the piano fitting into this, the pace seems to work against the hard rock rather than fit into it. The flute-lead was also too weak when paired with the guitars. Overall, not feeling this one yet. I'm not sure any one thing brings it down, but more the combination of a lot of small things.

NO (resubmit)

I can see Vinnie's crits, but for me the overall picture is above the bar. The crits he mentioned are valid (except maybe the piano comment in my personal opinion) but I think they don't add up enough to bring this below where it needs to be as a pass, and the arrangement is also strong enough to help push this a bit higher as well. I'm curious to see what the other judges think and how this will go in the end.

YES

• 3 weeks later...

Some mixing gripes first,

Snare is dull. No snap or body either. The bass is boomy without having any sub. The guitars are also pretty boomy to the point of smear. the drums and guitars sound somewhat muted because they are wet and a bit dull, but then you have the piano come in dry and in front and it sounds jarring. There's really just way too much low midrange in this song in general.

The arrangement is pretty good if not for a bit of medlytits, but solid. Timing issues pervade though.

I'd really like to hear more cohesive mixing.

NO

medly-tits

hehehehehe... I'm so immature :(

Ok, I'll start with the positives.

The arrangement is great! There is some really really awesome melding of the sources here. Creative!

So, arrangement is good. Production, is less good. I'm in agreement with vig about the bass lacking subs and the drums sounding too thin. The piano sample doesn't fit in the soundscape either imo. I heard the same piano sample in unbreakable and I didn't like it there, I don't like it here either... it just doesn't sound realistic enough for my liking, not the mention the fact its exposed thanks to a lack of reverb.

There is some minor muddiness with the rhythm guitars, and piano and the leads as well. Overall this needs some more clarity to it.

Arrangement as I said is great. I luv it. Production brings this one way down for me tho :(

I'd say you don't need to fix much here based on the strength of your arrangement, but it does need some addressing to get my vote. Fix up the piano, the bass, and the muddiness and i'll yes this faster than a bunch of slippery lizards.

NO(borderline)

I'm still hearing lots of minor issues that trip this one up. I'm going to bullet point this one because a lot of it has already been covered by other judges:

• Piano sample doesn't jive with the soundscape, something brighter or more percussive would suit this a lot better.
  • Drums sound hollow.
  • Bass/rhythm guitar/drums combined create muddiness. The bass frequencies are overcrowded.
  • Timing is very loose at times, e.g. :58 where none of the patterns seem to line up right. Acoustic guitar performance feels rough overall.

It shouldn't have to be said that this arrangement is fantastically creative at this point, but I'll reiterate it again because I really do love that part of this track. One of the best arrangements I've heard from either of you. But these little niggling grievances are hurting my enjoyment of the track overall and need to be addressed before this is ready for primetime. One more pass should do it! :-)

NO (please resub!)