Killer Android apps?

Flexstyle

• 3 weeks later...

There's a current deal going on on the Amazon App Store (you have to download the Amazon App Store using a browser if your default one is Google Play) where if you download/install 4 certain apps you get 200 free coins for each one (so...8$ free). After that, if you buy Grant Theft Auto: San Andreas for 6.99$ (or 699 coins) you get 2000 coins (20$) for free. There's also another small deal where if you buy any certain app you get another 250 bonus coins so you can get an extra dollar or two if you get a cheap app. Basically, I did all of these things and got around 23$ out of it and downloaded a few different games essentially for free and still have 10-15$ left over. The Amazon store isn't nearly as comprehensive as Google Play but they do run a ton of deals trying to get people to use it. You only have about another week to get the deal.

Here's some non-crap games that are on there:

Out There (1.99$ on sale on the amazon app store)

Game Dev Story (2.50$)

Monument Valley (3.99$?)

Final Fantasy 6 (15.99$)

Plants vs Zombies (0.99$)

Here's some more games that I've really enjoyed that I haven't seen in this thread:

Catan

Carcassonne

Out There - Can buy this on sale on the Amazon App Store for 1.99$

Infinity Wars (possibly better than Hearthstone imo) is also coming to Android and iOS. This game on PC has eaten up a crazy amount of my free time.

Edited by ShrackAttack

Here are some Android programs I use frequently, plus some of my favorite games. (Sorry if I duplicate some suggestions!)

Apps:

• Battery Widget Reborn (beta) (free, has a paid stable version). I like having the perma-notification, which I have set to show "empty at $TIME".
  • Google Chrome (free). Hey, it's a solid browser. Also recommended: ALL the Google apps, particularly Quickoffice.
  • Firefox (free). A little slow on older hardware, compared to Chrome, but still solid.
  • Fing (free). A neat set of networking tools. I fire this up a lot at home when I want to ssh into something, and can't remember each device's IP. (Why, yes. I am lazy.
  • Hacker's Keyboard (free). A quintessential keyboard if you regularly use your device as an ssh client.
  • K-9 Mail (free). An open-source mail client. Great if you don't like the stock e-mail app and don't rely on Gmail.
  • Retroarch (free). (Best with: MOGA, Wii Remote with Classic Controller) A great all-in-one emulation app.
  • Total Commander (free). If you're serious about file management, I can't recommend this app enough.

Games:

• Gunman Clive (paid). (Best with: Wii Remote or MOGA) It's a lightweight Mega Man! 20 levels of mostly-brown fun. :)
  • Osmos (paid, demo available). (Best with: just a tablet) A beautiful, zen-like puzzle game. Gets a bit actiony at times, but patience is always key.
  • Riptide GP 2 (paid, optional IAP) (best with: just a phone, or MOGA). I missed out on classics like WaveRacer 64, so this is the game that got me into water racers. Gets a bit level-grindy in difficulty. IAP for in-game currency, but I cleared the game without it.
  • Sonic 1, Sonic 2, and Sonic CD. (paid) (Best with: Wii Remote or MOGA). Brilliant ports of their source games; these all use Christian "Taxman" Whitehead's "Retro Engine". Sonic 2 has a "restored" Hidden Palace and smoother Special Stage.
  • Super Hexagon. (paid) (Best with: just a phone or tablet, or MOGA shoulder buttons) It's Super Hexagon.
  • World of Goo (paid, demo available). (Best with: just a tablet) I find the game more enjoyable on a touchscreen.

I'll edit this with additional favorites later.

Edited by Strife89

• 1 month later...

Yeah the N64 plugin is known to be very CPU-demanding. There is an option in settings for USF formats, its under Audio -> Enable HLE. Enable that and try again those songs that stutter. There are also few songs that just produce silence no matter which setting you have, nothing we can do about those.

Yeah the N64 plugin is known to be very CPU-demanding. There is an option in settings for USF formats, its under Audio -> Enable HLE. Enable that and try again those songs that stutter. There are also few songs that just produce silence no matter which setting you have, nothing we can do about those.

I changed that option and it fixed the DK rap in DK64. :lol: But other tracks are still jumpy. And Ogre Battle 64 is utterly unlistenable. :-( Other the other hand things like Goldeneye and Mario 64 seem to play fine. Bizarre....