*NO* Streets of Rage 2 'It's Fine, Learn 2 Dance'

djpretzel

Hi there, I'd like to submit another remix of mine.

Name of song: It's Fine, Learn 2 Dance.

Name of Game: Streets of Rage 2

Track Name: Stage 4 (under logic?)

Original Composer: Yuzo Koshiro

System: Sega Megadrive

Remixer Name: Ellywu

Link:

(Sorry its a VGmix link. I only have accounts there and on soundclick, and seeing as both change the tags :( If you would like me to upload it somewhere else that wont be a problem.)

Its a big-beat type remix of stage 4 from SoR2. There was a bit of fuss over on VGmix because well, i used an inaccurate midi when writing out the song.

I'll just copy and paste what i said there:

'When i can't transcribe a song by ear, which is pretty common because msuic

theory>me, i fall back on using a midi to get the notes of a song.'

If this breaches OCR guidelines then sorry for wasting time :( Thanks again!

Ellywu.

ROFL @ the title. Fantastic! :lol:

The intro.. ouch. Everything is just too lofi. If you were going for a chiptune feel you should have gone all out. As is, it is just grating on the ears. I would work on that first.

The drums (etc) that follow the intro are pretty nice, but come on, they're not so interesting to have them repeated that many times before a melody comes in! You need to be doing some more stuff there or cutting way down on the repetition. When the lead synth comes in, as the VGmix people noted, there are wrong notes. This won't kill you but it's pretty noticeable (particularly to me as I'm a fan of the theme). At 2:07 we get some light variation but nothing in the soundscape is really different. You need to be introducing more material here, melodic or otherwise.

Also, though the production is generally good, the lead synth seems to be playing too low. There's a lot of mud in the low to mid ranges.. nothing sticks out until the organ comes in later on. The changes in the groove there are cool, and the variations are nice too. Rhythmically everything is very simplistic. This may once again be because of the MIDI but I think you could add more swing to it to make it less straightforward and more funky. That's my opinion, at least.

Basically.. the structure/arrangement here needs work. There are some wrong notes, a lame ending, little rhythmic/melodic/harmonic variation, and so on. Refine + resubmit.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.zophar.net/gym/sor2.rar - 15 "Under Logic"

Played this on VGF67, so I was already familiar with the grooviness. Some of the production here resulted in some pretty abrasive areas. :07 was already getting there a bit, from :15-:23, that was just no good; stuff was definitely piercing.

Some more variations on the source theme from 1:03-1:19, though here the drum writing seemed weak from 1:11-1:19. Lead synth at 1:20 sounds pretty plain-jane and naked, and didn't really do much with the melody. Really could use some melodic interpretation here for the chorus.

Lead synth at 2:07-2:24 doesn't really stand out vs. the harmonizing elements there. By 2:23, the repeating of the chorus was wearing thin on me a bit. I feel like there not enough interesting writing going on here to justify 4 minutes, let alone the issue of my ears being assaulted by constantly loud volume. Some new sounds at 2:40 which were also too loud/piercing in the mid-range. Didn't like whatever synth came into the background starting at 3:12, but that's a nitpick. I like the idea of the ending, but it came about too suddenly, which felt like a copout. Keep the idea, just build towards it.

While I liked the new rhythms involved, zircon was right in that they're simplistic. You've heard it once, you've heard most of the song. I also felt the beatwork patterns dragged out for too long and needed to change up more substantially. Much of the time, the melodic lead wasn't standing out enough from the beatwork and supporting sounds; I think you need a take a look at scaling some of the supporting instrumentation volume back. And work on eliminating those piercing frequencies during the sections mentioned. Good foundation here, IMO. If you feel you've got more creativity to offer here, Chris, keep working on this.

NO (rework/resubmit)