Fun games with really stressful parts and/or, dramatic shifts

Devyn

Metroid: Zero Mission. I had heard that it was under-rated so I finally gave it a try. Almost needless to say, it was excellent, And I appreciate how they extended the game although it was very trying at the end. (highlight text for spoilers)

But it was a pain in the ass, and actually pretty creepy as well. Not even being able to kill your enemies, only to delay them while you run around with a stun gun. On top of that you have no idea where you're going and there are more than a few dead ends. The reward was great. When you finally get your suit back, it's like "awesome" and a big relief but wow can Nintendo bring the pain when they try.

It wasn't even near one of the hardest parts of a game that I've played. Quite hard, but not like one of those bullet-hell shooters or Ghosts and Goblins or something that's crazy all the way through. So do you know of any other games that are like this? I can't name any off of the top, but figured you guys might know a few games that just throw you into chaos out of nowhere or just totally execute a paradigm shift like that. You know, just for the hell of it. I ran a search but couldn't find anything so feel free to help make a list.

Goldeneye 007 was completely ruined for me during a very late-game mission where you had to protect Redhead McRussianchick from a fucking ARMY, in a big, open computer bullpen with TWO levels and bullets coming out of everything.

Why did she had the computer in the middle of the fucking room? Why couldn't it be some computer in a corner office somewhere?

Loved that part in Zero Mission. They also bring back one of the classic tunes once you get through, which just makes it all better.

I remember the first Crysis had a tone shift at the end of the game that was jarring. It's all FPS-centered run and gun up until that point, and then all of the sudden it's a vehicle section straight out of nowhere.

Could also bring up the oft reviled Mario Sunshine, and more specifically the sections where you don't get to use Fludd. Those are real palm-sweaters, and I can recall more than once being quite glad to be able to hover again once I got through them.

I brought up the Krazoa Test of Fear in Star Fox Adventures in another topic, and it fits well here as far as a stressful part goes.

Also in Metroid games, there's a particularly stressful segment of Fusion where the station loses power and you have to venture into a vine-choked reactor full of adult Kihunters, never sure if SA-X is about to track you down and vape you. Never mind the Nightmare boss...

How about getting to Dr. Wily's lair in either of the first two Mega Man games, reaching the boss, and going "WHAT THE FI'm splodin."

Guitar Hero veterans like myself may have some memories about the duels in GH3, especially against the last boss (also applies to the duel against Joe Perry in the Aerosmith game).

Dramatic shifts: in difficulty, Final Fantasy (NES, yo!) - heading toward the volcano or the ice cave. I remember level grinding for days just trying to get to one or the other, and things not getting any easier for the rest of the adventure.

Then there's stage 57 in Bubble Bobble. Anybody who watched Pat the NES Punk's 3rd Annual NES Marathon just to see the AVGN cameo will know what I mean.

I may have more later, but I'll shut up for the moment. You're welcome.